Traveling XBMC: with tablets and power inverter
Some of you might have seen my post on the "Full motion center headrest mount for tablet" I finally had some down time and installed my power inverter in my center counsel and then used snap-in outlets to make them look more stock and then wired a toggle switch for solid on off switch, now I can power a router while charging 2 tablets and a laptop at the same time (of course I won't be charging them non stop, but the router will be on for extended periods)

TP Link WDR3600: $57.00

amp wiring kit: $25.00 (power and ground was cheaper to buy this way at least where I'm at)

Cobra Power Inverter: $25.00

snap - in outlets: $5.00

Toggle Switch: $4.00

20 gauge stranded wire: $7.00(for the toggle switch)

14 gauge stranded wire: not sure had some on hand (used to run outlets and tie them together)

total $123.00 plus 14 gauge wire

other things that will be needed are: crimp adapters and heat shrink you can get them at a local hardware store

thanks to SKiNNiEH for the great idea will make our vacations much easier since we spend a lot of time driving

thanks to developers of XBMC and all other contributors in this community
Very nice. Makes for a more peaceful drive on long road trips Smile
Very clean with the outlets and inverter! I like that attention to detail :D
Converting 12v to 125V to get 5V for USB again is nonsense IMHO.

You should just have installed some more 12V outlets and use 12V to 5V USB converters. There are even quite cheap 12V power supplies for nearly all notebooks available.
(2014-07-02, 08:58)CaptainPsycho Wrote: Converting 12v to 125V to get 5V for USB again is nonsense IMHO.

You should just have installed some more 12V outlets and use 12V to 5V USB converters. There are even quite cheap 12V power supplies for nearly all notebooks available.

I'm guessing he's doing this because he sometimes has tablets and sometimes has laptops, and who knows what else in the future. It will work with what he has and with anything a guest might bring to the car, as well. From what I understand, a greater load on a car's electrical system won't really "use" more power. In other words, the car isn't using more gas for a less efficient power conversion, at least not at this level. It would probably be an issue if there was a lot more being powered, but I don't think this setup would reach that point. I think (maybe).

So from that perspective, it makes sense to provide a "universal" power source.
I would a agree with both of you, though personally I would have an AC line, and both a 12v and 5v DC lines running from a power regulator directly from battery. Both 12v and USB 5v means just about any electronic can be powered with AC for backup. I would also use one of those devices used for car computers to tell if the car is running or not and have a 10 min or so auto cut off maybe with a switch override.

All that aside this is a great setup and makes me wish I had a reason to set one up myself Smile . Good job man.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
The little gas you theoretically need more is not worth the consideration.
The bottleneck is always the gernerator. But it is buffered by the battery.
(2014-07-02, 08:58)CaptainPsycho Wrote: Converting 12v to 125V to get 5V for USB again is nonsense IMHO.

Thanks for all the reply's Big Grin
I agree it is overkill for the tablets, but I went with the power inverter because I have more knowledge in AC current then DC current, also like Ned Scott said I wont always have tablets I might have other laptops, also I felt that I was going to have more of a steady current for the router with the power inverter compared to having the router powered with a direct to 12V accessory plug.

the power inverter does have 1 USB port on It, I might take advantage of it and add in the USB port by the front seats. the power inverter is mounted in the center counsel so it wouldn't be that hard to add that in later. just need to find a good snap-in port all the videos and pics I see online aren't that attractive but I'll keep looking

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Traveling XBMC: with tablets and power inverter0