Recommended parts/components for new Pi
Hi,

I need to buy another Pi and was wondering whether there are any recommended components to get the absolute best out of it.

I will be overclocking it to the max and running if off a USB3 stick.

Are there any bits that everyone generally agrees upon as being the best for the ultimate Pi experience?

Thanks
I've found the NOOBs sdcard is as fast as a USB3 stick, so you can save money there.
Benchmarks here. The 4K read/write numbers are the most important.
Hi,

Is there a chance that my overclocking the Pi might mess up the SD Card installation?

I had this problem before, which is why I had to switch to using the SD Card just get the Pi to boot from the USB3 stick.
(2014-06-24, 14:32)elsmandino Wrote: Is there a chance that my overclocking the Pi might mess up the SD Card installation?

I had this problem before, which is why I had to switch to using the SD Card just get the Pi to boot from the USB3 stick.

Overclock related sdcard corruption was fixed in a firmware update about 8 month ago.
Thanks - had absolutely no idea that had problem had been sorted out.

Great to hear that I can obtain the same speeds as USB3 from that card - will make things slightly less bulky without the USB stick.

I note that there are a few types of NOOBS cards knocking around. So all I have to do is buy the one from the link you provided, wipe it, and then stick Openelec back on?
(2014-06-24, 18:06)elsmandino Wrote: I note that there are a few types of NOOBS cards knocking around. So all I have to do is buy the one from the link you provided, wipe it, and then stick Openelec back on?

Yes. In theory NOOBS includes openelec/raspbmc (amongst others) installable from a menu, but that wastes some space, so I'd just wipe it and install yourself.
cheapest raspberry Pi that i've come across

£23.99 sold by amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Mod...B008PT4GGC
(2014-06-24, 15:02)popcornmix Wrote: Overclock related sdcard corruption was fixed in a firmware update about 8 month ago.
Wow that's awesome, not sure how I missed that change. Good to know!
Excellent,

Well that is the Pi and SD card sorted (great find on the cheap Amazon deal btw MediaPi).

That just leaves me needing a power supply and a case.

I will probably get one of these for the power: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-AC-10X-Hig...kia+ac-10x

As this was recommended to me before and they work absolutely fine.

Turning to the case - are they all equal or do some offer better cooling than others?
(2014-06-26, 14:53)elsmandino Wrote: Turning to the case - are they all equal or do some offer better cooling than others?

Unless you are in a hot climate I doubt it makes a difference.
I've had a heavily overclocked Pi in a PiBow case (which has zero ventilation) with no problems.
Great, I will just get any old cheap case then.

Thanks so much for the input - should have a brand new little Pi to play with next week.
Case ventilation made a pretty big difference for me. Just cutting lines in the top of my cases dropped the average temps under load from around 145~155F to 135~145F I would get really hot temp spikes without the vents to sometimes around 170F and now I get no where near that. that's all with a 1ghz pi. I do live in a humid warm climate. But i have air condition.
(2014-06-26, 14:53)elsmandino Wrote: That just leaves me needing a power supply and a case.

I will probably get one of these for the power: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-AC-10X-Hig...kia+ac-10x

As this was recommended to me before and they work absolutely fine.

If you're planning on spending that kind of money on a charger (I mean £9.99, rather than £2.99 which is probably for a fake/knock-off Nokia) then you might want to consider something like this (Quad 2.5A UK) which has both higher output and more outputs than the Nokia. It's what I use with my Pi and it works really well, and of course can charge/power more devices than just the Pi. There's also a newer and more powerful version (Portapow Crystal 4.2A) which (for some reason) is cheaper still.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended parts/components for new Pi1