But what is XBMC really about?
Hi Guys,

First of all sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I've been wondering for some time what XBMC is really about and how does it work. Ok, I know that it is a media center - but does it rely on for example P2P streaming or on a 'client-server' connection?

I am not interested in P2P streaming (for various legal issues) therefore I am not one who use typical P2P streaming applications (like SOP). So, if I start to use XBMC - how will such a connection work?

With regard to the add ons, could there be such add ons which when you connect to them, your pc will turn in a peer (like SOP)?

I am really interested to know more about such technologies - I did a lot of research and read articles but never found an answer for this.

Cheers
About XBMC
Thanks for the link, but it does not really answer my question about how the way xbmc works Sad
Don't quote me, but no addons that I know of will make you turn into a peer. Its all server-> to you. IMHO, XBMC works best as a showcase for your OWN media.
But the link does address the issues. If you feel it does not answer your question about what xbmc is, you are either not reading or understanding the supplied link, or you are failing to communicate what you are effectively trying to find out.
@helta: Thanks for your opinion.

@ertman: Well, to be honest I read and understood the link. It does not explain how XBMC works in the background, but it is a list of features Smile I don't think I did anything wrong by asking in a forum... just for my interest
XBMC is designed to work with your local video files, either directly on the computer's hard drive, or on a local network connection like a NAS or file sharing from another computer.

XBMC can also work with other video sources via add-ons, but that's all optional.

The only two-way file transferring add-on that I know about off the top of my head are the ones based on XBMCtorrent, which includes an internal binary BitTorrent client. Everything else pretty much just downloads only from a server.
Further to what Ned said.. it plays your media as most players from your sources. There are hooks for a 3rd party add-on's that can enable streaming videos just like any browser, other than handshaking it's a one way connection.

What sets XBMC apart from most other browsers and media players, is the great media handling library that scrapes various web sources you specify for meta-data and can share it across a multi home theatre set-up.. Guess we could add TV & PVR integration if you have the hardware, and some entertainment features such as games.

Did I mention cost? Support? Customization? Multi-Platform? and just plain good looks.

Hope we're not tolling here.
(2014-06-25, 23:16)greentea Wrote: Thanks for the link, but it does not really answer my question about how the way xbmc works Sad

For me XBMC works flawless. Nod

We done now
If you really want to know the nitty gritty of how xbmc works in the background there are a few million lines of code ot read here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Think iTunes/front row/apple TV (Which it can run on)/etc but WAY WAY better and can be customized to an inch of its life. No video services are included except maybe YouTube. All the media is what you own ether ripped from DVD/BD, still on disc, or Live TV. There is also Addons that can stream media from online sources (Some legal and some not though the illegal ones are not available here). Basically its the best damn media center period.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
Thanks for your replies guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
But what is XBMC really about?0