Commercial skip and removal
I know that the mythtv frontend can skip the commercials by pressing Z, is there a way to do this through the PVR client in XBMC? Also I was just reading that to have the commercials removed they need to be transcoded in mythtv frontend so I assume that would not effect the recordings through the PVR client since it only talks to the backend if I record through there, correct? If so, is there a way to have the PVR client remove commercials?
mythbackend has the option to mark commercials, and to remove them.

marking simply places markers in the database to tell the frontend where myth THINKS the commercials start and end. As always with this sort of detection it is guesswork and may or may not be right. Z utilises these markers in the database to skip commercials.

You can go one step further and get mythbackend to transcode the recording and actually deete the marked passages from the file. Because it is all guesswork, this can be a problem if the guesses aren't right.

So short answer, you don't need to get myth to transcode to skip commercials, it is optional and may be problematic.

Now xbmc pvr uses EDL's (edit decision lists) to control commercial skipping. An EDL is a file which has cut points noted in it. Some XBMC PVR clients can interpret the backend's commercial detection as an EDL and automatically cut commercials. I don't use commercial detection as it is unreliable in my market (NZ) so I am not 100% sure if this works between mythtv and xbmc, but hopefully I have give you some things to search for :-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah xbmc picks up the edl's from myth and auto skips channels. Nickr have you tried the silence method of comskip? Works a lot better than the standard comskip, not sure how similar Kiwi and Aussie programming is though.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_de...freeviewHD

That wiki article states that it works in NZ.
Yeah i should try that. The reasons I haven't?

1. I am used to skipping through.

2. my old backend was too weak CPU and RAM wise to do it without affecting other functionality, so after period trying it out I didn't bother again.

Now I have a gruntier backend, it is probably time to try again. My right skip button will be less likely to wear out too!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-06-27, 11:17)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah xbmc picks up the edl's from myth and auto skips channels. Nickr have you tried the silence method of comskip? Works a lot better than the standard comskip, not sure how similar Kiwi and Aussie programming is though.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_de...freeviewHD

That wiki article states that it works in NZ.

Interesting, any idea if this would work with TVHeadend?
So is there a command I need to use through the pvr to skip the commercial?
It does it automatically, not sure if there is a specific command though.
Hmm, well there must be a problem because my commercials are being played and not skipped.
Hi, I have just updated my backend to 0.27 (using Linhes) and updated my ATV2's to Gotham 13.2. I can no longer add my myth backend as a video source as I used to with 0.21 and XBMC 11. Eden?. I can connect using the cmyth PVR, but commercial skipping doesn't seem to be working. My commercials are being flagged in the backend and it appears to be skipping them on my main frontend.

This is very frustrating. Does anyone have a workaround?

thx!
Scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Commercial skip and removal0