Number context menu items
Not sure if this is a XBMC thing or a skin thing.

Would it be possible to number the context menu items and have the numbers on the remote access each one?

For example, if I bring up the context menu and "Manage" is "08 Manage", pressing 8 on the remote selects that item rather tahn navigating up and down and pressing select.

I think this could really speed up the context menu a lot of users.

Thanks
I kinda like the idea. Will start working on it later today. Thanks for the proposal.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Cool, thanks! Smile
+1. When I think about how I use the context menu, it's almost always to do exactly the same thing (mark as watched). This would reduce the button presses from 4 (or 5 in some cases) to 2.

It will become even more important to ensure that menu items are in the same positions wherever possible e.g. the "5 in some cases" suggests that mark as watched moves around a bit (I think the difference is file vs directory).

Of course, maybe I should map a button to mark as watched ... Wink
(2014-06-28, 00:58)magao Wrote: +1. When I think about how I use the context menu, it's almost always to do exactly the same thing (mark as watched). This would reduce the button presses from 4 (or 5 in some cases) to 2.

It will become even more important to ensure that menu items are in the same positions wherever possible e.g. the "5 in some cases" suggests that mark as watched moves around a bit (I think the difference is file vs directory).

Isn't your solution to map a button to mark watched?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
While this is pretty easy for our own contextual items, any external one will screw the logic up. Will have to talk to jmarshall or someone that is more familiar with the guilib stuff. I'll keep you posted.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2014-06-28, 01:42)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-28, 00:58)magao Wrote: +1. When I think about how I use the context menu, it's almost always to do exactly the same thing (mark as watched). This would reduce the button presses from 4 (or 5 in some cases) to 2.

Isn't your solution to map a button to mark watched?

In this particular case, yes (and I'm going to do just that since the obvious finally occurred to me in my previous post).

However, not everyone has available buttons on their remote to do that, and if this idea gets implemented people will begin to rely on the numbers for the menu items. I know that if I were used to doing "menu, 4" to mark as watched and then in one particular instance "menu, 4" was "delete" I'd be pretty annoyed (OK - I'd actually only be slightly annoyed since I don't allow deletion from my HTPCs, but it's the concept that counts).
Would not be a problem if the external ones were added to the bottom of the list instead of the top.
Adding to the bottom makes more sense to me anyway. Now you have options that are not used frequently be higher than for example 'resume'.
As well as external buttons showing up at the top of the second (manage) context menu.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I like this idea, but from a different perspective. It might actually tie in nicely with the efforts to make XBMC more friendly for screenreaders etc.

I would not want these numbers to be forced on everyone - it should definitely be an (expert) setting.
We should consider adding a ContextMenuManager that handles all that in one place. Currently we offer skinners (and python authors?) the ability to fill up a control group with custom items without actually knowing about em. XBMC just appends its stuff to it. So a more general approach - such as registering context items - would surely make sense. Not sure if it's worth the hassle and if i really want to do it though Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Number context menu items0