Synology DS414 - Suitable NAS?
Hi there,

I am looking into updating my NAS (home built from an old PC) and currently looking at the Synology DS414 series. I'd like to know if it is suitable for my needs and can handle 1080p streaming.

My setup:
XBMC frodo
Intel Nuc DCYIE (I think from memory)
Windows 7
Intel Wifi AC720 (I think from memory)

The NAS I use for storing photo's, music, media (TV and Music up to 1080p) to different computers around the house and to the NUC connected to the TV.

I have read that a lot of people are using Synology NAS's however on the synology site it mentions that it can't transcode 1080p video. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this but I thought that the XBMC/NUC would do the transcoding so streaming 1080p should be fine (as it currently is).

The synology site states that it is unable to transcode 1080p so unsuitable for streaming - http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/faq/577

Apologies in advance if this is a simple question but I figure if I'm going to outlay the cash I'd like to be sure.

Thanks

NNank
If you want your Synology DS414 to do just what your current NAS (home built from an old PC) does for you now there will be no transcoding involved on the DS414 side.

XBMC/NUC do the video and audio decoding and rendering to your TV.

On that basis I am very confident the DS414 will be able to handle 1080p streaming to XBMC/NUC for you.

In my case I use a fairly low end QNAP TS212 over a LAN connection to my HTPC. It can handle 1080p streaming or two 720p streams at the same time, one of which can be to my tablet over Wifi.
Awesome. Thanks for thar
Take a look at Qnap which comes with XBMC pre-installed

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=198614
Transcoding is needed only if you have something like the Plex Media Server installed in the Synology. The DS414 is a very nice product and will do what you need it to do. If you have the funds, go for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology DS414 - Suitable NAS?0