Is software decoding OK?
(2014-06-28, 17:10)FernetMenta Wrote: Not so sure. In benchmarks they compare Tegra3 to Intel D525 and you won't do any 1080 decoding on a D525. Also note that the Jetson Kit lacks support for vdpau. Means there is no hw decoding support. As long as you are not interested in writing you own hw decoder with the provided SDK, you won't have much fun with XBMC and this kit.

This is Tegra K1, which is two generations newer than Tegra 3. It definitely can handle 1080 software decode.
(2014-06-29, 01:23)xbmcreallyrocks Wrote: If x86/amd64 systems have really gotten that small and cool and retained their speed then I'm very interested. I Googled but I can't find much info about the 1820T. Is it SoC? I found this G1820 Haswell Dual-Core 2.7GHz CPU but people are talking about using 1 or 2 fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116974

Which board or CPU do you have that works fanless?

Quote:Case + board + 1820T + memory < 200 dollar and fanless.
It's worth at least mentioning that the TK1 has 16GB storage onboard.

I don't know if that's the one he's talking about, but I have the G1820, and while I haven't tried a fanless heat sink on it, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked just fine. I did a lot of reading on it before buying, and it's an excellent bang-for-your-buck processor. For XBMC/media I have not been disappointed by it.
(2014-06-29, 06:10)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-28, 17:10)FernetMenta Wrote: Not so sure. In benchmarks they compare Tegra3 to Intel D525 and you won't do any 1080 decoding on a D525. Also note that the Jetson Kit lacks support for vdpau. Means there is no hw decoding support. As long as you are not interested in writing you own hw decoder with the provided SDK, you won't have much fun with XBMC and this kit.

This is Tegra K1, which is two generations newer than Tegra 3. It definitely can handle 1080 software decode.

Who has tried this. Can you point me to some source data which proves this?
(2014-06-29, 01:23)xbmcreallyrocks Wrote: If x86/amd64 systems have really gotten that small and cool and retained their speed then I'm very interested. I Googled but I can't find much info about the 1820T. Is it SoC? I found this G1820 Haswell Dual-Core 2.7GHz CPU but people are talking about using 1 or 2 fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116974

Which board or CPU do you have that works fanless?

Quote:Case + board + 1820T + memory < 200 dollar and fanless.
It's worth at least mentioning that the TK1 has 16GB storage onboard.

I have a Zotac H87 board and a Streacom case: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1624776

This build is interesting too:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186932
(2014-06-29, 08:35)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2014-06-29, 06:10)Ned Scott Wrote:

Who has tried this. Can you point me to some source data which proves this?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...view&num=1
http://bitkistl.blogspot.co.at/2014/03/e...board.html

I also recall Davilla having very good things to say about the Tegra K1.

I wouldn't buy it myself, since you can get cheaper x86 hardware for most of the same functions, but the Tegra K1 is an ARM monster on steroids, that's for sure.
Still not convinced. phoronix compares the K1 to an i3 330M which wins the H.264 category 34.38 to 157.39. (less is better). The 330M has little less power than the 4010U which is in a Zotac ID67. I would't want anything with less power for sw decode.
Convinced that it's possible or that it's a good buy or not? Like I said, I wouldn't buy it myself :)

The benchmarks beat my iPad 4, and XBMC on the iPad 4 can software decode 1080 H.264 High Profile. I'm sure you can find a 1080 video encoded in something that will cause it to have issues with software decode, but that's true for almost anything. Considering the Tegra K1 is Nvidia's baby, I would be really surprised if this couldn't get hardware decoding via normal Android APIs (if it doesn't already).
(2014-06-29, 14:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Convinced that it's possible or that it's a good buy or not? Like I said, I wouldn't buy it myself Smile

The benchmarks beat my iPad 4, and XBMC on the iPad 4 can software decode 1080 H.264 High Profile. I'm sure you can find a 1080 video encoded in something that will cause it to have issues with software decode, but that's true for almost anything. Considering the Tegra K1 is Nvidia's baby, I would be really surprised if this couldn't get hardware decoding via normal Android APIs (if it doesn't already).

Not convinced that sw decode would work without issues. Maybe most 24 fps material will do but what about 60fps?

Don't get me wrong. I think the K1 is a powerful processor as soon as an app has offload decoding to the GPU. Google wouldn't have chosen this as a platform if it wasn't good.
If NVidia supported vdpau for K1 this would be an attractive platform for Linux too.
OK, you're rearranging my thinking on this, I'm not afraid to admit it. Smile I didn't realize that x86 and ARM had converged here. x86 does look like the better choice given its wide compatibility.

Can anyone think of anything the TK1 has over a fanless mini-ITX system?
(2014-06-29, 17:41)xbmcreallyrocks Wrote: Can anyone think of anything the TK1 has over a fanless mini-ITX system?

Hopefully in the future. NVidia is known to provide the best implementation for hw decoding, at least on Linux and Windows. VC-1 field interlaced only works on NVidia. Unfortunately NVdia systems disappeared from HTPC market because AMD and Intel have integrated GPUs. K1 has a TDP of approximately 10W, ideal for a passively cooled system. If NVidia provides support for vdpau on K1, I will go for such a system.
(2014-06-28, 17:57)FernetMenta Wrote: Sure, you can also stick to just playing music Smile Seriously, what do you want to do with this board? I doubt that you would be able to get XBMC running using Linux. Afaik the Android dev pack for K1 was released this months. It won't be a trivial task getting XBMC to run using Android either.

the released dev kit is android TV? do you mean it?
(2014-06-29, 17:06)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2014-06-29, 14:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Convinced that it's possible or that it's a good buy or not? Like I said, I wouldn't buy it myself Smile

Not convinced that sw decode would work without issues. Maybe most 24 fps material will do but what about 60fps?

Don't get me wrong. I think the K1 is a powerful processor as soon as an app has offload decoding to the GPU. Google wouldn't have chosen this as a platform if it wasn't good.
If NVidia supported vdpau for K1 this would be an attractive platform for Linux too.

First off let me say that I own a Jetson TK1. Before you call me a liar, here is picture proof:

I also purchased the clear acrylic case from Puget Systems which makes it look really nice.

Unfortunately, you are correct in your assumption that it would struggle with software decoding. I installed the drivers, enabled the extra repositories (that have xbmc in it) and installed it. I tried a 1080p mkv of the movie 'Labor Day' (the beginning of the movie is a good test) and it stutters VERY badly.

Hopefully hardware decoding is supported in the near future, my original plans were to use this as a htpc. As it's very new I expected that it would take some time to get some good development going (as it did with the raspberry pi).
(2014-07-07, 05:03)devz3ro Wrote: Unfortunately, you are correct in your assumption that it would struggle with software decoding. I installed the drivers, enabled the extra repositories (that have xbmc in it) and installed it. I tried a 1080p mkv of the movie 'Labor Day' (the beginning of the movie is a good test) and it stutters VERY badly.

Have you tried to enable multi-core decoding? By default XBMC will only software decode with one CPU core, but this can be changed in XBMC v13 and later: XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration

Make sure that "expert" level settings are exposed
(2014-07-07, 05:44)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 05:03)devz3ro Wrote: Unfortunately, you are correct in your assumption that it would struggle with software decoding. I installed the drivers, enabled the extra repositories (that have xbmc in it) and installed it. I tried a 1080p mkv of the movie 'Labor Day' (the beginning of the movie is a good test) and it stutters VERY badly.

Have you tried to enable multi-core decoding? By default XBMC will only software decode with one CPU core, but this can be changed in XBMC v13 and later: XBMC -> Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration

Make sure that "expert" level settings are exposed

Only 12.1 was available with the extra ubuntu (universe + multiverse) repositories. I used `sudo apt-get install xbmc` and that was the version it installed. Would I have to compile that version or is there another way to install >v13 xbmc in ubuntu 14.04 arm? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a heavy Fedora user.
No there is no repo for arm and the 12.1 version ubuntu provides is heavily fucked up and not supported by us.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is software decoding OK?0