Win Gotham - Crackling/popping with MP3s when using WASAPI
Hi,

I've had this problem since I've starting using Gotham. It has been persistent through every Gotham release. If I downgrade to Frodo it goes away.

WASAPI gives me bad crackling and popping on MP3s. There is no crackling with FLAC, DTS, Dolby. If I change to directsound it goes away. It persists with both optical & analog output. Changing soundcard drivers did not help.

Specs:
Gotham 13.1
Windows 7 64bit
Intel E8500
2gb RAM
Nvidia 9600GT
Xonar Essence STX

Here's my log file, it was crackling badly during playback: http://en.textsave.org/skT
i have the same issue randomly. I think it has to due with another app not letting go of exclusive mode and/or xbmc not taking it back.
if you go into audio settings and change your downmix on and off, then it seems to play.
it's random for me. sometimes it happens, some times it doesnt.
Downmix doesn't seem to have an effect in my case. It sounds almost like it's clipping the output... it happens during loud portions of the song.
hmm maybe not the same issue then. Mine is a squealing, hissing, noise type effect. I can hear the music, but it sounds all distorted. a reboot usually fixes it or in some cases,
i've tried toggling the sound settings (downmix/upmix) on and off and that also seems to make it work again.
Anyone else having this issue?
It may be possible that you're experiencing a clipping effect.

Have you tried lowering the volume output of XBMC to see if that has any effect?
Having the same problem as well.
can you try a nightly? there's been issues with the old mp3 decoder (libmad) and we dropped it in favor of ffmpeg.
Just tried Helix nightly. Can't use WASAPI at all now. Horrible loud noise even just sitting in the menu. Music comes out completely scrambled.

Edit: Went back to 13.1 and lowered "fvolumelevel" below 1.0. This appears to have fixed the issue! MP3s play fine now.
In which settings did you lower "fvolumlevel" below 1.0?

Thanks
Just use your remote or keyboard to adjust XBMC volume.
I've recently started experiencing the same issue with clipping MP3 playback in Gotham 13.1 when using WASAPI, via SPDIF on an Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Changing to DirectSound seems to have prevented the clipping at higher XBMC volumes on MP3s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crackling/popping with MP3s when using WASAPI0