PVR startup and guide very slow after Matrix upgrade
Things pretty much worked fine with Leia except for some playback stutters at the beginning of a recording or live tv, but I recently upgraded to Kodi 19 Matrix (via Libreelec on RaspPi3)

I am finding when I attempt to bring up the guide it takes a really long time. Sometimes, after a few minutes it will finally show the guide screen, but it is empty.

After another several minutes or so, it finally displays. This never happened before.

Also finding after a fresh reboot, the initial screen takes a while - icon spinning while it tries to update 'Recently played channels'. This never happened before.

Looking at wireshark running on the MythTV backend after restarting kodi, I see HTTP requests, all completing in the first 6-8 seconds. The icon spinning while it tries to update 'Recently played channels' lasts for about 2 minutes. Then bringing up the guide does not appear to cause any HTTP traffic, yet it takes several minutes. The only network activity I see during those long delays are periodic backend messages announcing 'FILE_WRITTEN'. I assume these are from another device watching live TV.

The debug log below is after fresh start of Kodi task, waiting several minutes for the initial screen 'Recently played channels' to finish blocking and then selecting the Guide.

I do see tons of 'UpdateInProgressSize: Updating recordings size' and lots of GetTimers from the plugin and 'UpdateEntries: Updated timer'.

https://paste.kodi.tv/ruboqoravu

13:49:33 - recently played channels icon starts spinning
13:50:43 - recently played channels finally show up
13:51:20 - Select guide - Kodi screen is blank
13:52:52 - Guide finally shows up
Having a look on your log, seems there is no network issue. But you have a bunch of recorded (more than one thousand) and timers. Your PI hardware could be out of resources to handle that in short time. Only the guide data can be limited by choosing 3 or 5 days to download (PVR setup page).
Have you tried with a stronger hardware as a PC desktop ?  and then have you the same issue with a stronger hardware ?
Hi,

I don't wish to pollute the OP's problem if it's unrelated - but it feels very similar to what I've experienced when moving from Kodi 18 to Kodi 19 (or 20).

In my case, I'm running an old-but-still-capable Mac Pro as my host - so CPU power isn't a limiting factor here.

Here's my report on it, from the thread 'Kodi 19 epg dead slow': https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3107616
There was a major change for Matrix and all EPG entries are now written to a table while updates are done as deltas.  I don't know how MythTV works but I know for NextPVR I had to rewrite the process to ensure that the EPG elements sent to the Kodi only changed when necessary.    Update with a few hundred channels have never been fast even when it was in memory, but for me it went from 20+ minutes to around 30 seconds.  If you load Kodi infrequently the performance will also suffer.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR startup and guide very slow after Matrix upgrade0