Step by step guide to set up Openvpn
Is there a simple step by step guide for noobs to set up Openvpn on a Raspberry Pi running on Openelec and Gotham?
I have a link to a tutorial for systems running RASPBIAN (which I switched to since RASPBMC made it near impossible to get a stable function for OpenVPN).
But I have never tried OpenElec anytime on my Raspberries...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
OpenELEC has built in support for OpenVPN - just read the documentation or look through the OpenELEC settings and you'll find it.

I got OpenVPN working on Raspbmc using my own scripts and configuration utilising advanced launcher as the way to start and stop different vpn destinations but I didn't document it and since I no longer needed it it got wiped during a recent reinstall... but I can say it is certainly possible with enough effort. The hard bit is exposing a user interface so you can start or stop a VPN without leaving XBMC.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Are we talking about an OpenVPN server or OpenVPN client?
There is no launcher needed for the server since it runs as a service, so maybe you are talking about letting the Pi connect to a remote system by OpenVPN?
I thought that you wanted to connect into the Pi from a remote location like a phone or such.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Well, the original posters question upon re-reading it is ambiguous as to whether he wants an OpenVPN client or server...

My use of OpenVPN on Raspbmc was as a client connecting to VyperVPN to get around IP geolocation blocks...

I installed the standard OpenVPN client package with apt-get and wrote a launcher shell script that read the username and password from a separate file, and took the name of a second config file from the command line - this second config file was named as a "display name" for a server with the content of the file being the hostname of the server.

Pass it the name of the config file for the server you want (you could have as many servers as you like) and it would connect to that server. I then used the advanced launcher addon to provide a UI within XBMC - with the right configuration it would automatically scan for files of a certain extension in my OpenVPN directory and build a list of servers by their display name to show in the GUI, (eg, London, Washington DC, Sydney etc) plus a Disconnect VPN option, and call the script for me with the right arguments when selected.

So at boot time the VPN defaulted off but in a few seconds I could go into advanced launcher and start a session to any of the configured VPN servers, switch between servers, or disconnect the current session.

Worked perfectly - the only real issue is I never came up with a good way to feed back to the UI that the connection was successful - you just chose connect then waited 30 seconds and hoped all was well...(or checked the log file I wrote to the directory)

I might have even saved a backup of it somewhere, I'm not sure. I thought about publishing my approach but it needed a bit of clean up work and manual set up and then I stopped using it myself so I didn't bother.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Step by step guide to set up Openvpn0