Lowest specc'd hardware running xbmc ?
I see a lot of threads regarding hardware for XBMC, people talking about i5's and i7's with 8Gb+ of memory. Because of one of my PC's running XBMC this seems like overkill to me, so I was just wondering what the lowest hardware spec is that people have XBMC running properly on.

My minimal system consists of :-

Intel Pentium 4 630 (3Ghz)
1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz
80GB IDE HDD
GeForce GT 610 Silent Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB DDR3, Half Height)

OS is ubuntu 14.04 minimal

XBMC runs fine on this system (probably because of the hardware acceleration of the gfx card). Media is served off a NAS and a quad core AMD server downstairs.

Proves you don't need cutting edge hardware for a decent experience Big Grin
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'm running XBMC Gotham on an atom ION 330 (1.6ghz) with 4Gb ram. Smooth playback and have now got Ambilight working. My system is a big as a dvd player, and my phone is more powerful! OS is Ubuntu 12.04.4 64bit.
An Apple TV 1 is basically an Intel Intel Pentium M from 2008 with 256 MB of RAM, and when coupled with a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card (replaces the wifi card on the internal miniPCI-e slot) it still does a pretty dang good job on XBMC v13 Gotham. I'm about to retire mine from normal use because of a few issues here and there, I have other hardware that can run XBMC, and because CrystalHD support might be dropped from the next version of XBMC, but it's still not a bad XBMC machine for those specs :D
I am running setups the same as you two.

2x Revos 3700's - nVidia ION2 does the video hard lifting.

2x P4 2.4GHz SFF Compaq/HP machines, with low profile fanless nVidia cards - GT220 in one GT 610 in the other. Again, nVidia does it well!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a Revo 3600 and a 3700 - Atom N230 and D525 respectively., I believe. Couple of gig of RAM and an SSD in each, and they both get used every single day to stream HDTV, recordings, BR rips and anything else I need to throw at them... every now and then, I think about upgrading, and then can't actually think of a good reason why...
one of my setup is an old eeepc 701 4g with last version of openelec installed on a sd card.
i use it without problems :-)
Peppe
(2014-06-29, 22:35)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I have a Revo 3600 and a 3700 - Atom N230 and D525 respectively., I believe. Couple of gig of RAM and an SSD in each, and they both get used every single day to stream HDTV, recordings, BR rips and anything else I need to throw at them... every now and then, I think about upgrading, and then can't actually think of a good reason why...
Vdpau= god
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-06-29, 23:51)nickr Wrote: Vdpau= god

Amen to that :-)
Openelec

Athlon 3200+
512mb ram
NVidia GT 520 1GB

Obviously the video card does all the work, I think more ram would make a difference, but it works well enough.

Seems to run standard Blu-ray (1080p, 1080i) and dvd mkvs smoothly, no visual issues and there doesn't seem to be any drops with normal playback, but I don't check that for every video I play. There will be few frames dropped if I mess around with the playback (ffwd, pausing etc.), but it catches up.

System is being replaces with something newer.
Yes some RAM should help with flitting around in the GUI.
Surprisingly, the GUI is pretty smooth.
Raspberry Pi http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi

Not counting first-gen Xbox http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk
I also have a RaspberryPi happily chugging along in the bedroom running OpenElec. Previously I'd used Quartz as a skin but have found Amber works nicely as well. GUI is obviously not as fluid as something with more power, but playback is lovely, including 1080p. Gotham has really made a lot of progress with Pi functionality.
I think this thread was about the lowest spec x86 machine, so Rpi is a bit of a cheat really...

However Rpi fits in too as it is low power cpu and high power gpu, just like an atom/ion or p4/nvidia combo. None of the low spec systems mentioned above would be any good without a decent gpu. nvidia have lead the way with this, with vdpau and the ion chipset and relatively low cost pci-e cards, both with vdpau support.

It is a crying shame that nvidia have gone out of the ion style market.

XBMC no longer runs on 1st gen xbox.
Yeah, I did kinda mean x86 architecture. Until I replaced the video card, I was running with a very old nVidia 7300LE. Remarkably, playback of videos was fine although I couldn't use a skin other than confluence. Now it runs AEON MQ5 same as the downstairs rig.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest specc'd hardware running xbmc ?0