Charger for Rasp PI
Folks..
Planning to buy a power adapter for my new Pi, the one i have is under powered for some reason.
Is there anything out there that people can recommend that works well ?

Thanks.
I recommended a power supply here which I'm happy with.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Problems related to the Pi very often are caused by poor USB power cables (too thin wires) from the power supply to the Pi.
See this analysis for more information!
Note too that even the power supply provided by Farnell as being designed for the Pi is supplied with a poor cable....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Thanks.. but am looking for a US charger. any suggestions.
I use an iPad charger on mine. They output 2.1A. If I remember correctly, Nook chargers are similar.
Ipad chargers are notorious for dropping voltage under load which is actually beneficial for a charger but terrible for a PI
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Yes, while I have used an iPad charger successfully, they do drop voltage. Very interteresting testing here:
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-us...le-is.html

shows iPad drops to 4.4V under load which is enough to cause problems.
Nexus 7 2012 5v 2A

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-07-02, 13:33)popcornmix Wrote: Yes, while I have used an iPad charger successfully, they do drop voltage. Very interteresting testing here:
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-us...le-is.html

shows iPad drops to 4.4V under load which is enough to cause problems.
Yep, my 10w iPad charger drops to 4.3v when trying to power my Pi - so no good.

It might be 2amp rated but its no better than a cheap rubbish phone charger as far as voltage regulation goes.

I'm not sure if the newer 12w types have the same issue or not, but given that a good adaptor with good voltage regulation is much cheaper than an iPad charger there's not really any point in trying...
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-07-02, 00:04)Dilligaf Wrote: Ipad chargers are notorious for dropping voltage under load which is actually beneficial for a charger but terrible for a PI

Interesting... I wasn't aware of that. Looks like I will be following through on my plan to build a charger.
I use the apple wall socket to USB socket and then plug an old micro usb lead I had lying around into that.... it's worked constant with no issues at all for months!?!
I connect it to my TV's USB input via an old phone charger cord. Had this setup for 8 months.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Charger for Rasp PI0