Choppy 1080p playback on iPad Air
Hi everybody,

First of all, a big thank you to everybody involved in xbmc. I love it. I run it on my nuc, my raspberry pi and my iPad Air and am very pleased with all of them.

There's one thing, though: most 1080p movies I play on my iPad air, don't play very smoothly. Video sometimes moves in slow motion, with audio getting out of sync. After a few seconds, the video goes very fast and catches up with the audio. This happens a lot. It's not the audio, I've tried to convert the same video with different formats (dts, ac3, aac) but it makes no difference. When I play the same movie in nPlayer, it plays flawlessly. I've also tried a lot of A/V sync methods, but this didn't make any difference either. Different network protocols (SMB, NFS) also didn't make any difference. I can't test the movie locally because there's not enough space, but as I said, nPlayer plays it flawlessly through SMB.

Is this a known problem? Am I doing something stupid?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance,

Afortunado
It could be demanding enough that it needs hardware decoding, and right now XBMC v13 on 64-bit iOS devices doesn't use hardware video decoding, just CPU decoding. nPlayer will use hardware video decoding, though.
Thank you, that makes sense. Any prediction on if or when hardware acceleration will be possible?
Read this thread;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185597

To summarise: It will be a LONG time till xbmc gets hardware acceleration for 64 bit devices OFFICIALLY.

There is however an unofficial build that works very well with 64 bit devices. There is a known corruption issue with some h.264 encoded videos, but in those cases software decoding is more than efficient as there is a fix to stop it maxing out the cpu (which is what you are experiencing now). If battery is an issue for these videos then I guess nPlayer or other App Store apps are the best bet, but hopefully you don't encounter the corruption issue too often.

Please try the build - it will help a lot Smile

Just in case you miss it in the thread, the latest 64-bit build can be found here: https://github.com/linusyang/xbmc/releases

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy 1080p playback on iPad Air0