help choose best hardware for xbmc
Whats are the general census when comparing with Pi, I need user friendly option, good wifi signal and hassle free but dont want to spend too much?
These are the ones I have been looking at:

Pivos
Pi
Amazon tv box
Ouya
Gaintech Mygia 1200
Out of the units listed I have owned 4 of them and will rank them in order.

Amazon Fire Tv - Great box and runs very smooth. Plays 1080P video pretty well. A little more work getting it set up. I had some minor issues with FF/RW not working .

Ouya - Another good box. Again, a little work getting xbmc installed and set up. Was not happy with using a controller as a remote. XBMC runs fine !

ATV1200 - Great dual core box. Best wifi out of the bunch. Was able to pick up signals from the next street over. Best all around performance but lacks some speed being a dual core unit.

Pivos, - Was the worst box I ever owned. Super slow compared to even the dual core unit. Had to run Linux just to make it bareble.

I have also owned the following :

M8 AmLogic Quad - very fast .. firmware still a little buggy but improving weekly .

MK888B - My favorite box. Has good speed, excellent wifi, android OS works great. Smooth Video Playback.

ATV520E - Pretty much same as ATV1200 but less ports.

MX Box - love the 3D launcher for Android. Wifi not great. XBMC runs ok .

JynxBox HD - Same as Pivos .. just sucked !

Overall, I would suggest the MK888B or the Amazon Fire Tv . Mk888B is great if you want Android and everything just works and is easy to set up. Amazon Tv is silky smooth when navigating and very fast. No Android OS and is a little harder to set up. Plus has a few bugs still.
great thanks can i get the mk888b from the uk?

theres is various types of these models which one are refering to.can you provide link please.
not heard of this one, whats it like on xbmc?
(2014-07-03, 23:19)yaqh Wrote: great thanks can i get the mk888b from the uk?

theres is various types of these models which one are refering to.can you provide link please.

Not sure if it is sold there but you can definitely order it from China and have it shipped.

The Mk888B / CS918 / EKB311B / T-R42 are all the same model with different names. The biggest problem is that they keep switching around parts ( Bluetooth, Ethernet , Wifi ) and each model actually has 3-4 versions. This makes it a little confusing when upgrading to new firmware as you have to make sure the firmware matches all your hardware parts or certain functions may not work.

These RK3188 devices were usually overlooked as good XBMC players because they could not playback HD smoothly. But now that XBMC Gotham has HW Acceleration these boxes work fantastic.
(2014-07-03, 22:25)Packetcrypt Wrote: Amazon Tv is silky smooth when navigating and very fast. No Android OS and is a little harder to set up. Plus has a few bugs still.

Actually the Fire TV is Android, it's just Amazons' launcher (called Fire OS), but it's still Android. It just doesn't have Google Play Store, it has Amazons App Store instead.

Quote:As readers of this blog, you probably already know that Kindle Fire devices run Android. While these devices may not look like Android because we use an Amazon-designed launcher, they are Android indeed. The original Kindle Fire released in 2011 runs Gingerbread (API level 10) and the Kindle Fire devices released in 2012 run Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 15).

https://developer.amazon.com/post/Tx5Z9R...On-Ki.html
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help choose best hardware for xbmc0