Concept Home menu idea
Hi all,

For some time I've had an idea in my head for a great skin and finally I've come around sketching it and researching if it's possible.
Although I'm not that experienced with skinning from the ground up and not that good with photoshop/indesign (haven't used it for years) I got a full vacation and nothing to do basically.
So decided to share my idea to see what you guys think and maybe can give me some advice

The sketch attached on this post is real basic and shows only the basic functionality of the home screen.
My goal is a clean skin, with grey/black/neutral tints and not the aluminium placeholder buttons although that can be made an option later on theme.
What the sketch is not showing: I thought it was a good idea when pressing up you get back to the fullscreen tv/video stream or photo gallery and down for forward/nackward/stop/play buttons as most skins have these buttons accessible from the home screen.

I know it's a bit rough but I hope it gives a good idea what I'm looking into, also I got a lot in my head for the rest of the skin but for now I want to get the homescreen done.

Skins also using the carousel effect for research purposes:
- xTV lite for original xbox
- Influence mod for Dharma
Looks good!
Hate the buttons though but as you said not final, the concept is cool!
I love the idea, but the disadvantage is the custom menu. How do you think to do for add custom icon ?
Just like the Eminence skin does for example: open a new windows (but mine won't be fullscreen).
And to be honest, I really hate the sub menu most of the time and unfortunately for me it's used in nearly all skins.
Different can often be a good thing and for now I just want to see how this works out; to be honest I have no clue yet if it ever makes it into a skin but i truly hope so.
It to be some thing simple, especially for Raspi for example, and have a custom icon to aggregate all submenu (youtube etc. ..?)
I hope to see this project succeed . good luck!
This WIP-skin has also the carousel-effect: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116658

But i like this home idea. The buttons look a little bit oldschool.
Those are just placeholders, couldn't get them right in Photoshop within the time I wanted so I took some from google images.

What I had in mind is closer to this:

Sort of flat but with a little both of roundness to it so it sort of pops out like dome buttons but not quite.
Also the grey is just different from in my head but close.
Anyways once I got the xml working right someone with better Photoshop skills is of course free to help me, I'm an engineer and by no means a graphic designer.
(2014-07-04, 12:26)barney stinsen Wrote: This WIP-skin has also the carousel-effect: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116658

But i like this home idea. The buttons look a little bit oldschool.

I liked Revolve concept very much. I even try to develop it further when it was obvious that skin is abandoned. However reallife came winning with developing skin. Big Grin Probably i should share slightly developed Revolve, may be someone would finish it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home menu idea0