Banana Pi
I am trying to compile XBMC on the Banana Pi.

I have had it working on an early version of Raspbain but it was painfully slow to use.

I will be trying all the OS versions available Lubuntu, Raspbian, OpenSuse and lastly Android
I know other people are trying it but wanted to group all the attempts together in one place.

Yes the support from Allwinner isn't great but there wasn't much from the xbox when xbmc first started either!

Anyone who has or is trying it too, please add your progress

SmileSmile
still learning linux, | Eve Media Box Case | Abit I-N73HD Motherboard | 2gb Ram | 8gb usb drive | xbmc live | 4tb Linux server |- Second box - XBMC live | GA-81915PM motherboard | 2gb Ram | Gainward 8400GS 512MB HDMI | 2.5" 60gb hard drive |Cheap MCE remote | Tvheadend server | Raspberry Pi | Acer Revo | Zotac ION
great idea. I know the official XBMC dev have decided that they will leave this one out. but the potential of this board is massive. if you can get hardware accelration working on this then it has the potential to be an amazing board and cheap to. I'm interested if anyone Dev if actually working on those new stuff released so we can get hardware acceleration working
Why not use this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192817
Seriously, if cost is a concern then there are devices more powerful at the same price as the Banana Pi. The Banana Pi is nothing more than an attempt to cash in on the exploding growth of DIY users thanks to thinks like the Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Beagle Bone. Buying one for XBMC is a fool's errand. I wouldn't want a Banana Pi even if it was given to me :P
but Ned I want a banana pi Sad
Forgetting the Allwinner support issue, there are cheaper Allwinner devices with the same specs.
Having said that if sunxi-vdpau comes to anything, would that make a difference to your view Ned?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not really familiar with what that is, but we've seen hardware decoding for XBMC work on the Allwinner A10/A20 chips. I'm just not sure there's much to be excited about for the Banana Pi specifically (at least in context to XBMC). The Raspberry Pi has XBMC-related benefits with the increased number of connections/GPIO pins, but a lot of that is only possible with a large support community that is working on a standard set of hardware. I'm guessing things like an LCD info screen on a Raspberry Pi wouldn't work on the Banana Pi without some additional work. That makes the Banana Pi just a case-less remote-less A20 box. There's already a bunch of A20 boxes with cases and remotes in the $50 or less price range.

If you're just looking for something to tinker with for other things besides XBMC, then that's a different story. Allwinner makes some great bang-for-your-buck chips that I'm sure fit a number of needs.

*shrug*
Wups, as Just Another BananaPI user I'm having same problem compiling XBMC. I'm starting on Lubuntu with linux-sunxi drivers, but cannot go much forward.
@ned, maybe you're right, the support is really poor in this moment. It's not a matter of which device to choose here, more a way to search for help (that would be easier on a device much more used and floowen, I know).

And yes, I've not seen this thread, instead I've posted a new one with where I'm blocked here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=199354

I think it will be not easy Wink

Simon
(2014-07-04, 19:04)Mike34 Wrote: I know other people are trying it but wanted to group all the attempts together in one place.
The linux-sunxi community is already working on VDPAU support, why not join their group?
http://linux-sunxi.org/Category:Community
http://linux-sunxi.org/CedarX/Reverse_Engineering
http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC
Thanks for that RockerC, I am on that group too and trying lots of ideas from there.
still learning linux, | Eve Media Box Case | Abit I-N73HD Motherboard | 2gb Ram | 8gb usb drive | xbmc live | 4tb Linux server |- Second box - XBMC live | GA-81915PM motherboard | 2gb Ram | Gainward 8400GS 512MB HDMI | 2.5" 60gb hard drive |Cheap MCE remote | Tvheadend server | Raspberry Pi | Acer Revo | Zotac ION
(2014-07-05, 07:42)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm not really familiar with what that is, but we've seen hardware decoding for XBMC work on the Allwinner A10/A20 chips. I'm just not sure there's much to be excited about for the Banana Pi specifically (at least in context to XBMC). The Raspberry Pi has XBMC-related benefits with the increased number of connections/GPIO pins, but a lot of that is only possible with a large support community that is working on a standard set of hardware. I'm guessing things like an LCD info screen on a Raspberry Pi wouldn't work on the Banana Pi without some additional work. That makes the Banana Pi just a case-less remote-less A20 box. There's already a bunch of A20 boxes with cases and remotes in the $50 or less price range.

If you're just looking for something to tinker with for other things besides XBMC, then that's a different story. Allwinner makes some great bang-for-your-buck chips that I'm sure fit a number of needs.

*shrug*

Well, just to make it CLEAR, the Banana Pi does have a built-in IR. I find it funny since using the Banana Pi to replace current deployed media-player-Raspberry Pi is a laugh. I have many Raspberry Pis deployed as media players and did buy a single Banana Pi. I didn't buy the Banana Pi to replace any of the Raspberry Pis, but I intend to use it for other tinkering needs. The built in SATA is a huge benefit for some applications, in particular mine. But if you compare the Banana Pi with Cubieboard2, they are nearly feature identical, even in terms of price. I also own a cubieboard2 that I use for tinkering purposes. My purposes requires 500GB of disk space without ability to deal with a powered USB dock tethered to the solution.

All that aside, it would be nice if we someday saw proper hardware acceleration support for the A20 in XBMC.
Rest assured, we are working with http://www.bananapi.com to release a native version of XBMC, along with our rPlay software for Airplay Mirroring/Chromecast/Miracast onto this new Banana Pi board. I personally like Banana Pi because it supports Android and can run Chrome browser, whereas Raspberry Pi does NOT. We have many users of rPlay on Raspberry Pi, and they really want to get Chromecast support, but due to the fact that Raspberry Pi does not run Chrome browser, it's extremely difficult to support the full features of Chromecast. On Banana Pi, there are no such issues.

The Android version of XBMC is already working well on Banana Pi, and Linux versions need to add the native h264 decoder from A20, not very difficult to do.

We will first release the Android version of XBMC with the upcoming Android 4.4 (note it's not 4.2) version on http://www.bananapi.com, then Linux versions of xbmc.

Stay tuned.
So who are you? You clearly don't represent the manufacturers of banana pi as you say you are working "with" them. So who is "we"?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Banana Pi0