perfect system now low fps on hd content.
I am at a loss here, I've had this 12.04 ubuntu system setup for years now, just upgraded to gotham from frodo using xbmc-standalone, any kind of HD content makes it run like a dog, 15-20fps, and puts cpu usage over 100% for xbmc. skipping audio etc.

using hdmi for video and audio.

the big thing is I installed openelec on another hard drive and ran it and it runs perfectly. So it's not hardware.

it's an amd E-350 system
Things i've done. reinstalled xbmc, reinstalled fglrx. - no effect
put in a new hard drive and installed 14.04, and xbmc,fglrx (open source and the catalyst drivers) - no effect
downgraded to frodo - no effect.
put in a HD5870 to test, no effect.
even vlc and mplayer in gnome desktop cant play hd content right and runs the cpu ragged. It may not be an xbmc issue at this point but I thought someone might have an idea.
installed openelec on another hard drive, put it in, works fine. I am not sure what else I can troubleshoot.

All of the 'new hdd' tests have been done using the same hard drive, the 14.04 install that did not work on the openelec install that did use the same hardware.

Here is my verbose log. I tried to play a bluray rip of a Star Trek The Next Generation Episode during this logging.

http://pastebin.com/CvVALjDh

Any help would be appreciated.
fglrx is the problem, use the radeon OSS driver. See the howto on top of this forum
During my 14.04 install on the 2nd hdd I followed that guide to the letter, except for using the mini iso or server iso, the desktop trusty install shouldn't matter that much would it? I'll try it again though.
it does matter. full desktop install pulse audio. And you installed fglrx yourself, as this is not default.
I had an E-350 notebook and installed Linux Mint 17 on it. XBMC 13.1 works fine but you need to use Radeon OSS drivers not fglrx. Keep in mind that most other players (MPlayer, VLC) choke on HD content with OSS drivers installed though. Also you might want to use Fernetmenta-Master PPA instead of official one though.
If you really need desktop distro for whatever reason (web browsing?) I suggest XBMCBuntu or Lubuntu though. Since both came without pulseaudio.
mplayer and vlc both can use vdpau with the oss drivers, it's a matter of configuration.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-07-06, 22:26)fritsch Wrote: mplayer and vlc both can use vdpau with the oss drivers, it's a matter of configuration.

I tried it with vdpau as I thought it would be like i XBMC with gave goodr esult in playback but about half of my videos turn out black screen with audio. Using other config put CPU to 90-100% load and dropped frames occured though. XBMC was fine and CP Usage stay 2x -3x%.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
perfect system now low fps on hd content.0