Music files v. library
I'm struggling to display my music in a way I like the look of. I want to remove too much choice and always start with a list of artists. I can see two ways in - files and library and I suspect I can't get where I want either way.

My files are in artist/album directories but I have two issues:
  • I use underscores in place of spaces in filenames
  • Info items only get populated once I work my way down to tracks

If I use the library then I get a list of all artists including those who are only on compilations.

The best option (I think from my position of ignorance) would be a way to exclude compilations from my initial artist list. A bonus would be a way to add "compilations" to the artist list but I haven't spotted a way to amend a pre-populated list at all. I've seen the option to access compilations only, which I haven't bothered to play with yet as it works in Confluence and it's the less annoying flip-side of trying to exclude them.

If I start from the file list I get the organisation I want (but I lose niceties like ignoring "the") but as I say, I haven't found any way to amend a list, or for that matter to do any sort of editing of any Info item (which might be enough). Any clues about this would be gratefully received even if there's no way to get to the artist or album name from a directory.

Any guidance will be fantastic, even if it's just "can't be done". At least I'll be able to move on to my next challenge then. TIA.
You can change displaying compilations in the music settings area.
Aaargh. You wouldn't believe how long I've been pratting about around this. Thank you!

I don't suppose I can sneak compilations into the artist list as an extra item somehow. That would be the icing on the cake.
(2014-07-05, 23:22)georgek Wrote: Aaargh. You wouldn't believe how long I've been pratting about around this. Thank you!

I don't suppose I can sneak compilations into the artist list as an extra item somehow. That would be the icing on the cake.

Compilations have their own menu selection, just like Artists and Albums.

A workaround, if you don't mind losing the individual artist's tag, is to retag all ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags to equal something like "Compilations", or, as I do, "VA" (for Various Artists). That will then show up on your Artist menu. If you want, you can copy the individual song artist into the comment tag or a custom tag just for future reference. You can categorize if you want, like "VA-Blues" or something like that, and then you'll have a few more choices in the Artist menu.
I'd spotted the compilations window sub-section. I didn't like all the artists from compilations appearing in the list but hadn't spotted the setting until Hitcher enlightened me. I prefer to have an extra menu item for compilations than to re-tag. Thanks anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music files v. library0