Issue with xmbc duplicating files
Hi Guys,

New XMBC user, so please forgive me for any newb questions. I'm having an issue that I can't seem to find an answer to online.

I'm using XMBC on Ouya. I have all my films on a 4tb external hard drive. I am adding the hard drive as a source for videos and my movie list is all shiny and that was pretty painless setting that up. However, my issue is this.

So I add the 'source' to videos and point it to the folder on my usb drive that contains my movies which is named PAULS MOVIES. XMBC asks me to name the source, so let's say I name it simply 'films' for example.

Now when I remove the usb drive and plug back into my laptop to add more films or update or delete or whatever...I notice that I know have a folder on there called 'films' that has all the files from 'PAULS MOVIES' in, does this mean that all the files have been duplicated on my drive therefore taking up double the amount of space?

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but that's what it looks like.

So to start I have a usb drive with one folder called PAULS MOVIES full of 200 films.
I plug drive into OUYA, open XBMC and point the source to PAULS MOVIES.
200 films now show on xmbc lovely and pretty, I name the source 'films'
I remove hard drive and plug back into laptop
I now have two folders, one called PAULS MOVIES and one called 'films' and both folders have same files in (my movie files)
So usb drive is now twice as full?
XBMC shouldn't be creating any folders. I've never seen it do that. XBMC shouldn't modify your files or folders at all unless you do specific actions in the file manager (wiki), but you would know what was happening then. Very odd.
It's actually created LOTS of folders on my hard drive! Majority are empty though. It's created 'music', 'playlists', and loads more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I though that was the norm.

The other issue is if I delete the duplicate folder, it deletes BOTH folders and therefore ALL my films. Very odd indeed. Sad
Does this happen if you use the sideloaded version of XBMC from xbmc.org?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with xmbc duplicating files0