which nuc?
Hi all,
Looking for a bit of help before I waste more money on yet another media player that doesnt do what i want.
My requirements are pretty simple.
1. Needs to be able to stream from my nfs server over ethernet (wifi not required)
2. Run xbmc, doing nothing else.
3. 7.1 hd audio pass through to my onkyo receiver
4. NO 23.976 VIDEO GLITCH EVERY 41 SECONDS

Most of my video files are either 720p or 1080p mkvs.
I currently have 3 raspberry pi's which are fine for the bedrooms but dont cut it for the living room. I have just bought a minix neo x8-h and it has the video glitch which is a deal breaker for me.
I have been looking at the intel nuc's but cant find a definitive answer to point 4. The nuc is probably the way i want to go but not sure which model is ok with point 4.

Please help as i have no more storage space left for media players that are no good for me.

Thanks
Skooby
Any NUC will do mate.

If you want cheap go with the 2820.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Thanks for the quick response,
Are you sure it does 23.976 properly as i have read a few posts suggesting there may be issues. Also does the celeron one not have issues with hd audio over hdmi?

Thanks

Skooby
Am I sure? ReallyHuh You're asking a multiple NUC owner slash modder with NUC links in his sig if he's sureHuh?

None have issues with 23.976.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-07-06, 17:48)jammyb Wrote: Any NUC will do mate.

If you want cheap go with the 2820.

Probably a bit safer to say any Haswell/Baytrail NUC will do. The earlier models are still in the supply chain (at least in the UK they are) and are based on chipsets which still have the Intel 24p bug. So if the OP wants glitch-free 23.976Hz output without resampling or dupe/dropping audio then it needs to be the N2820 or the Haswell i3/i5 models (or a 2955u Gigabyte Brix - which is almost identical to the NUC and worth considering as well. As is the 2955U Chromebox)
I didn't think you could buy Celeron NUCs any more. Plus I could never spot the bug when I had the Celeron model anyway!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-07-06, 17:52)skooby Wrote: Thanks for the quick response,
Are you sure it does 23.976 properly as i have read a few posts suggesting there may be issues. Also does the celeron one not have issues with hd audio over hdmi?

Thanks

Skooby

From what I understand, the 2820 won't be able to bitstream HD audio in Windows, but it should work in Linux with OpenELEC.
(2014-07-06, 19:03)jammyb Wrote: Am I sure? ReallyHuh You're asking a multiple NUC owner slash modder with NUC links in his sig if he's sureHuh?

None have issues with 23.976.

Sorry,didnt mean to offend. As i said i have had lots of media players over the years so want to get the right one. The older nucs are still available i think. Looking at at 2820 just now. Will it run smoothly using a usb or does it really need an ssd?

Probably going go run openelec so i guess the audio wont be an issue for me, unless you advise tunning something different?

Thanks

Skooby
SSD is always a great addition, especially when you have a large library
(2014-07-06, 19:21)jammyb Wrote: I didn't think you could buy Celeron NUCs any more. Plus I could never spot the bug when I had the Celeron model anyway!

The Celeron 847 and Ivy Bridge i3s are still knocking around in Europe - and the i3 (with Thunderbolt rather than GigE) was going very cheaply recently (good value if the limitations aren't an issue for you)

Some people spot the bug instantly - others never notice it. I thought I'd better say something as the OP is obviously sensitive to it (as am I)
(2014-07-06, 20:15)noggin Wrote:
(2014-07-06, 19:21)jammyb Wrote: I didn't think you could buy Celeron NUCs any more. Plus I could never spot the bug when I had the Celeron model anyway!

Some people spot the bug instantly - others never notice it. I thought I'd better say something as the OP is obviously sensitive to it (as am I)

It drives me mad. I find myself spending more time wstching for it than actually watching the movie.

I have gone ahead and ordered one.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Skooby

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which nuc?0