FireTV or Chromebox
Hey guys, I am trying to decide on the best new setup for redoing the media capabilities in my home. I am going to be serving the data for XBMC from a synology box and may at some point in the future use a SQL database to keep all the devices synced (or try the new UPNP feature in gotham). What I need is for each tv in the house to have its own media player, and I am trying to do this for as little $$ as possible while still retaining functionality. So far we have been using overclocked raspberry pi's and they have worked wonderfully. They are a bit slow however and ive had some stuttering issues here and there and I would really just like to get something that I know can handle 1080p content (4k would be good, but thats not a must). At the moment the two best options for the price seem to be a rooted Amazon FireTV (which I was able to snag for $75) or a chromebox running xbmc for $170. I just wanted to hear anyones opinion or personal experience with either of these systems and was wondering if either of them will be 4k capable?

I did load XBMC 13.1 on the FireTV and it seems to run well, but the whole process and really the homebrew AFTV scene seems really hacky and unstable at the moment, I know in time this will most likely resolve itself and I really thing that the AFTV has potential...but I don't want to sit around waiting for this to happen. That being considered, I am going to try the XBMC launcher that someome around here linked to and see if that helps at all. I really just need a solution that I can make turnkey for whoever is using it (I don't mind messing around, but the household does so it needs to be a turn on and go kinda thing).

Again any advice or experience are welcome.

Thanks for your time!
Bumping this as I am in the same dilemma. My content is being hosted elsewhere on the network, so I just need a player for my bedroom... would like to eventually set up a sync'd database.

Anyone have opinions or experiences?
Newegg has Chromebox for $139 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883220572). I think like all Android boxes, FireTV has some limitations (no bitstreaming HD audio, ff/rew doesn't work, only skip etc) but that may not be relevant in your case, and it does come with a remote so thats another $15-20 saved.

Amazon and newegg both have generous return policies so perhaps the best option might be to try them both. Rest is down to personal opinion and budget.

I also recommend using MediaBrowser3 as a server with XBMB3C addon running in XBMC as a client. You get a centralized server that's easier and more capable than a MySQL setup.
(2014-08-14, 01:25)MrCrispy Wrote: Newegg has Chromebox for $139 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883220572).
Your link shows $169. Fire TV is on sale for $84 at Amazon and Best Buy.

Chromebox has more possibilities, but is twice the price. Whether you need the things that Fire TV can't offer is up to you to decide.
(2014-08-14, 01:33)katsup Wrote: Your link shows $169. Fire TV is on sale for $84 at Amazon and Best Buy.
$10 rebate + $20 Newegg gift card sort of makes it $139. The HP version is $150 at Amazon though.
You're comparing 2 very different devices.
Chromebox will offer you great performance, and overall stability, while FTV is still beta-ish to me and has many limitations.

I'd go for the chromebox anyway (I have a firetv and a nuc i3 both for xbmc)
I think FireTV is quite stable. With these two devices, it comes down to:

Get Fire TV if:
- You want Netflix, Amazon, etc. in addition to XBMC
- You want other apps and games
- You're fine with lack of VC-1 playback, and few H.264 MKV's (full BD rips) having green pixellation issue
- Want to spend < $100 (FTV is on sale right now for $84)

Get Chromebox if:
- You want more of a dedicated home theater box
- You need hd audio support (TrueHD and DTS-MA)
- Don't care about Netflix, Amazon and games
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Even with the latest "stable" gotham, the Fire TV still has a few issues that are bugging the crap out of me:

1 - Launching XBMC will spontaneously crash. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to open it before it stays open.
2 - Very frequently, when trying to skip into a file with the right arrow (30 seconds forward), it defaults to the first 30 seconds of the video. The only way to fix this is to reboot the fire tv (OK and Play on the remote).
3 - When playing WTV (Windows Media Player TV broadcasts), they often crash the player.
4 - When using a universal remote with FLIRC, buttons are sent as keypresses and you can't push and hold a direction on the remote to scroll through a list unless you actually use the official Fire TV remote. I prefer Logitech Harmony, but hate repeatedly hammering directional buttons for navigating.

Can someone who has tried both the fire TV and the Chromebox with openelec vouch for how much more stable the Chromebox is vs the Fire TV? I still frequently use a Raspberry Pi even though it's much slower than the Fire TV just because it's so much more stable and works better with a Harmony remote, but would like something that is faster and stable. And I don't want to spend a ton on an NUC or have a big computer in my home theater. For these reasons, the Chromebox sounds perfect. I just don't want to upgrade and find out the Fire TV is just as good as the "upgrade". I have no use for a Chromebox aside from its home theater potential.
the ChromeBox works absolutely perfectly with a Harmony remote and MCE receiver (what I use). Mine runs 24/7 without a hiccup. I haven't used a FTV for comparison though. it's also $134 AR from newegg right now, which is an absolute steal IMO
(2014-10-02, 19:41)Matt Devo Wrote: the ChromeBox works absolutely perfectly with a Harmony remote and MCE receiver (what I use). Mine runs 24/7 without a hiccup. I haven't used a FTV for comparison though. it's also $134 AR from newegg right now, which is an absolute steal IMO

I apreciate your speedy reply on this. After you replied, I ordered the Chomebox. Officially, it is a much smoother experience versus the fire tv. Both are speedy, but things just work so much more predictably in openelec vs android (including passthrough audio for all files). Also, Aeon MQ 5 skin is a smooth experience on Chromebox and is choppy on the fire tv.

I only have one issue with the chromebox, and that is with MP3/AAC audio... No sound unless you change your output for the video settings to 30fps. Very strange. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187858&page=3 After changing that setting, everything appears to work though.
(2014-10-11, 21:57)kajex Wrote: I appreciate your speedy reply on this. After you replied, I ordered the Chomebox. Officially, it is a much smoother experience versus the fire tv. Both are speedy, but things just work so much more predictably in openelec vs android (including passthrough audio for all files). Also, Aeon MQ 5 skin is a smooth experience on Chromebox and is choppy on the fire tv.

I only have one issue with the chromebox, and that is with MP3/AAC audio... No sound unless you change your output for the video settings to 30fps. Very strange. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187858&page=3 After changing that setting, everything appears to work though.

are these for MP3/AAC audio files, or video files with MP3/AAC audio tracks? Are you running a static refresh rate, or switching based on the video framerate? Either way, seems like a general XBMC bug, not specific to the ChromeBox, and will likely be fixed in short order.
MP3 files, shoutcast and digitally imported channels, video files using AAC codec all produce no sound unless the video refresh rate is set to 30fps. I have static refresh rate because my receiver (pioneer vsx-822-k) has handshake issues with HDMI. I get a long delay when the refresh rate changes. Either way, everything works if I keep static 30fps.
This discussion is IMHO the same as every other android vs PC thread. PC has many advantages but you pay more. End of thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If this question keeps coming up. Would it not be a good idea to have sticky thread which gives up to date pros and cons as i hear this talked about a lot amongst friends.
(2015-01-11, 12:08)forcefullpower Wrote: If this question keeps coming up. Would it not be a good idea to have sticky thread which gives up to date pros and cons as i hear this talked about a lot amongst friends.
/Rant ON

The real disappointing thing is NO BUGGER BOTHERS LOOKING AT SIGNATURES
The number of stupid question that Mr Chromebox aka Matt Devo gets asked are usually because users cannot be bothered to read the Wiki properly, also known by the commonly used slang RTFW !
I really don't know how he has the patience. Confused

/Rant OFF

!!
!!
!!
!!
V

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV or Chromebox0