Gigabyte Brix 2807?
Has anyone tried the new fanless Gigabyte Brix 2807?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856164017

It is NUC-like but not technically a NUC. There are one or two reports of it working with OpenELEC so I'm hopeful. I'd like to be able to run an xfce4 desktop too.
The celeron N2807 is a mobile Baytrail CPU
Yep. Is that bad?
Slightly slower than the N2820 NUC, but not a whole lot slower. I doubt anyone would notice the difference as far as XBMC is concerned. All in all, it looks very nice and might be a better deal for those who don't care about internal IR.
Hey,

this looks like an awesome device.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the temperature.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...807-a.html

Guys here reported it can go up to 100C.

At 4.5W TDP this is pretty disappointing. Did they decide to add no cooling at all?

A $10 heat-spreader should be able to cool this way better? Sad
I wish there were an aftermarket metal case available that could function as a heatsink. Is there one of those for the 2820 NUC?

Anyway, I plan to run mine from a USB stick and hopefully those reporting very high temperatures are using an internal disk.
Sucks to hear. Wanted to buy this with a big hdd for openelec.
A YouTube review of the device showed 100% CPU usage for a blue ray movie
100% CPU usage must be without the GPU or with deinterlacing or something.

Can we put a bigger heatsink on the CPU?
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, running OpenElec from a fast usb3 stick. The case gets a bit warm (aluminium) but my CPU temp seems to hover around 65-70C max, haven't checked it a lot though and I don't use it for more than a couple of hours at a time. The outside temp is pretty high in the summertime too so that probably doesn't help...

So far it's been working great, pretty snappy and plays everything fine. Mostly played 720/1080p low bitrate tv stuff but also a few medium-high 1080p movies which played fine. Menus are pleny fast, using Bello skin right now. I'm coming from an overclocked Pi though....

CPU when playing files using hardware acceleration is around maybe 15% when I last checked...
Can you confirm that the case is all aluminum and no plastic?
(2014-07-08, 21:36)xbmcreallyrocks Wrote: Can you confirm that the case is all aluminum and no plastic?

From what I can tell yes, except the top of the case (not sure if it has aluminum parts too). Confirmed by the description on the product page, "design based around an anthracite aluminum frame and glass surface chassis"
Hi,

has anyone installed OE to internal hard drive on this unit & if you have what are your settings in Bios please, as when I try to install OE it tells me there is no hard drive but in bios I can see hard drive.

Thanks
Calisto
I am interested to buy the box and it is actually sitting in my Amazon cart. I have a silly question. I use Xsteamer and this box supposes to replace it with XBMC on top. I have around 400 DVDs and I have no intention to store them to any hard drive so I have DVD drive connected to Xtremer so play them directly from it. Does XBMC support the similar caapbility? Can I connect USB DVD drive and play disks? I know no luck for BR but DVD?
Yes, yes, and yes. It sounds like you should be quite pleased with the Brix 2807 :)
I bought one of these units a week ago and so far it seems really good except one problem. I loaded Windows 8.1 and I am getting a screen flicker about every 12 seconds. When I play videos in XBMC I can see the task bar flash along the bottom. I know it isn't an XBMC problem since the whole screen flickers even in the browser. I have tried two different TVs and a VGA monitor and it happens on all three. I didn't notice this problem in Ubuntu and I haven't tried Windows 7 yet. I've Google around and can't find a solution. I know this isn't and XBMC problem but any help would be appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte Brix 2807?0