Linux Incompatible network manager
Hi, I've loaded everything through my shop bought SD card including noobs. But for the life of me I can't get my RP to run wirelessly. In xbmc addons I get network manager incompatible.

After 2 days trying I'm out of ideas. Help required plz, for a not to bright user.

Dave
Which distro are you using? OpenELEC? RaspBMC?
Hi, I'm sure I'm using raspbmc, I've changed the setting to wifi from wireless, but that's me, I'm lost now? I've even down loaded the xbmc hub wizard thinking that might provide an update... No joy

Thanks for replying

Dave
At the present you've provided us almost zero information - which means you'll not get too much help.

Is this new equipment?
Did you buy a bundle, which includes a pre-loaded SD Card?
What does the System info (under the System item) tell you about the version of OS and XBMC?
Does your WiFi work for other devices in the location where your Pi is?
Derek
Hi Dan, I appreciate you getting back to me, so does my family who I'm driving up the wall with this.

I did buy a SD bundle which was SD 8gb card with Noobs & Java & raspbain.
Operating system is : Linix 3.12.21 #2 PREEMPT We'd Jun 11 etc
I've bought a USB 2.0 wireless 802.IIN for raspberry pi dongle. I've tried a ASUS dongle which I use on my PC but still get incompatible in network manager with both.

Ive changed the settings wireless to wifi, but after that my knowledge runs out. I note on some utube broadcasts changing the config setting, to be honest I don't even know how to get there...

Thanks again

D
Hi Derek, sorry about multi entries, desperation really as I know of knowone who has Raspberry pi to ask.

Yes it is new system. Ive run my xbmc through my laptop in the past but wanted to go wifi, so I could control it from my iphone instead of jumping up and down all the time.

In settings general it says device name XBMC

I've also loaded the XBMC HUB third party addon in the hope that it had a fix, no joy.

Many thanks again

Dave
Quote:In settings general it says device name XBMC
that tells us absolutely nothing!
I asked you to look at Systems|Info.

If you controlled it through a laptop before, then you must have had an ethernet connection - if so, then don't mess around with wireless, as you can use the local network to provide the links (I control an ethernet-connected RPI with raspbmc using one of several apps on an android tablet)
Derek
Cheers Derek, but I don't think the wife would put up with the cables running from the hall, but good thought...
The lap top worked coz it had its inbuilt wifi.

Seems I've annoyed you by your tone.... Sorry about, I hope the day gets better for you

Regards

Dave
A frustrated silver surfer...
Are you using a powered USB hub to connect the wifi? Many wifi issues are attributable to insufficient power. The wifi dongles commonly found today are power hungry little buggers and it's not uncommon that the pi is unable to provide enough power without the use of a powered hub.
Hi ActionA, this may sound dumb but I'm just using the power cable from the wall socket 5amp to power the pi. I've got my mouse/ keyboard in one USB port and the dongle in the other. Plus the usual HDMI, Ethernet cable ( for now) in the other ports.

Will lack of power really give me incompatible in network manager ? I see from several utube tutorials they suggest confining, which is a bit out of my depth. To be honest I don't know how to get to the prompt key. Thick or what.

I'm driving the family up the wall with this lol. As I'm retired I'm at it all day, daft thing is I see thousands on here but know of know one who I could talk to about it....

Any way thanks for replying and any help in solving this would be appreciated.

Dave
Preston area.
Right - there's the first problem: lack of power to drive the WiFi module and the rest.
I also suggest that, given your skill level, you'd be better off in the stmlabs forum for raspbmc where they deal with basic problems.
Be sure to read the sticky threads at the start where they list the sort of info needed to assist diagnosis.

These forums are where people with XBMC problems come - you need help with raspbmc and how to do things
Derek
Thanks Derek, off to Maplin to buy another power lead. Could you suggest which one as I note that there are several?

Then as you suggest read forum for raspbmc.

Many thanks

Dave
What everyone seems to be missing is that you should NOT install Network Manager in Raspbmc. To set up your networking go to Programs>Raspbmc Settings>Network tab and everything needed to get WiFi running is there.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Hi Dilligaf, did what you suggested and got as far as scanning for network, found it. Went back to enter SSID also shared Key ( using Sky hub ) security code. I assume they mean password. Clicked Update now and OK. Back to system info-summary. IP address blank. Rebooted still blank.

Getting there but not Carling

Any ideas what I'm missing

Dave
Does your password contain any special characters? If it does try changing it to one that doesn't
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incompatible network manager0