Licensing Query
hi, i am writing an application so that i can easilly manage xbmc configuration files, what i would like to ask is:
are there any licensing problems in distributing the application?
i am prety sure that there arent any issues while the xml files are not located in the xbox ie the user has retrieved the files locally(the application is for windows) but what is the status if i retrieve the xml files from the xbox through ftp for example?

some info about the application:
will parse:
xboxmediacenter.xml, keymap.xml, filezilla server.xml

i am going to support ftp trasnfers of the files, but would also like to have smb support if xbmc will someday. my main goal is to be able to distribute the files to more than one xbox since now i have to change the settings to 3 of mine individually :-(

if anyone would like to either test the application or would like another file to be managed, fell free to reply here.

note/question to developpers: is there a reason that there isnt a standard way of denoting a boolean in the files? i had to make my parser "very" generic since for ex false can be "false" "0" or "no".
something to think about:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=20679

as long as the settings files are in clear text it really doesnt matter for my app. thanks for the heads up though.
generally it's gpl that is the licence model. wich kinda mean you have to supply sourcecode i suppose.. but i'm sure we'd never ever enforce that. i'm definatly not a licence expert thou..
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

do u use any of our (or other gpl'd software) source files? if not, you are free to license it entirely as u want.

analogue; u can still use gpl software on windows rite. if the gpl required that anything interacting with gpl'd software was gpl'ed, well, then it would be a rather shitty license (which it isn't).
i am not using any code that is licensed under gpl. all code is copyright material of htss corp. and many libraries are purchased from other companies, so i am not able to give source code. at least not all of it:-). my main concern is with m$ is it legal for me to distribute software that can be used for xbmc?
i am not planning of charging anything for the app of course it is going to be freeware, i was thinking in doing it in c#(now the gui is in delphi and anything else in c++) and not use any licensed code, but it would take me ages, i havent got much free time.

gpl v2 requires you to distribute under gpl only if you use gpl code and even in some cases not even then, depends on the "uses" clause.

well,

let me put it this way. if ms decided to go after ppl that makes software for modded xbox'es, i believe our arses (as in the xbmc dev's) would be first on the line, at least i think we'll be higher up on the list than you Smile

so u can probably relax.
lol, dont worrry this aint going to happen, but you should take a second before starting with chiped 360's they are going to not like it a bit this time:-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Licensing Query0