[SOLVED] Better video card than nVidia 640?
Ok I've been watching some TrueHD content for a couple hours and every 5 minutes or so the audio cuts out just for second but it's annoying. I would love to know if it's a setting somewhere in the GUI, a config file, or an XML file. I'll turn on debugging. I should use the debug.old file correct since a new one is generated on reboot?

Edit, how do I turn on debugging but without these characters on the screen?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
OK I turned on debugging, rebooted, and it did the audio thing like right away so I have a log file already.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=244257
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
The log shows a video playing only for a couple of seconds. Did you observe any audio issue in this short period of time? If not please post a log and let us know the time at which you did observe the drop out.
Yes, I played the video and the audio dropout happened within a second or two of playing it. Should I play the content longer and let it happen a few more times? On a side note, I disabled the sync video to display refresh options and I haven't had an audio dropout since I did that. However, I never had those options disabled previously when this issue occurred so I doubt it's related. The only different thing about the audio dropout now is that my receiver's display is not changing like it did with the previous dropouts. I'm wondering if I just forget about that sync refresh to display option if this audio problem will go away. I didn't really notice much if any picture quality anyways.
The log does not show anything unusual which may be related to an audio drop out. Maybe still something wrong with the drivers. The build you ware using has NVidia driver 331.89 (July 4th). I haven't tried this version myself yet and don't think I will because there is already 340.

If you have a working solution without "sync playback to display" I would use it and try upcoming versios if they have fixed the issue. Again, I think you don't need a new graphics card.
Is it possible to upgrade video card drivers in OE or do I have to wait for a new release?
You could rebuild openelec to get new drivers, but I can't confirm what else you will need to change.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-10, 15:54)fritsch Wrote: Just use 4.0.7 and everything should be fine. This was broken in 4.0.6

Your quote to the dev build and advice on 4.0.7 really paid off because I haven't had the audio bug since. Thanks a billion!
Well, I just had an audio cut out so I wonder if alsa is broken again in 4.1.1 (4.2 beta). If so I have no problem reverting back to 4.0.7
I asked on the OpenElec forums and of course nobody answered to me. I thought be a multiple time donator, they'd at least give me the courtesy of some response. Anyways, I went back to 4.0.7 as Fritsch originally recommended and all is fine. Have there been any notes about ALSA problems in that latest beta? I have no qualms about going back to Windows if I need to. OE is nice because it boots fast and is built for XBMC. The Windows variant boots fast on my SSD plus I really don't reboot that often anyways. The other thing is that I have much more I can do with a Windows HTPC like use 3rd party software if I want to mount a virtual drive and play 3D ISO's.
I am sorry that nobody answered your post but I don't think it is ignored deliberately. fritsch is off on vacation and I haven't heard much from the OE staff during the last couple of days.
Do you miss any important features or fixes in 4.0.7? Be assured that I will forward your case to the OE team if I'll a chance. Next week I'll be off for vacation too.
Actually I have found the oe forums pretty unresponsive compared to here.

But patseguin the version you tried is explicitly experimental. don't see why you would want to go back to windows just because one experimental version of oe had a glitch. \

What are these virtual drives you want to mount?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-22, 22:20)nickr Wrote: Actually I have found the oe forums pretty unresponsive compared to here.

But patseguin the version you tried is explicitly experimental. don't see why you would want to go back to windows just because one experimental version of oe had a glitch. \

What are these virtual drives you want to mount?

Yeah you raise a good point. I'm only trying the beta version for the heck of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 4.0.7.

The virtual drive thing is a script I read about that mounts an ISO and plays it in Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre 6.

Using the XBMC script resulted in very slow stuttering playback in TMT 6. Playing it outside XBMC and just directly in TMT 6 made it play perfectly and the 3D was stunning compared to SBS files. Probably is way too much trouble just for a quality improvement, whether real or not.

I really have no problem just continuing to use SBS files in XBMC (OE). I just simply wanted to re-rip this with the HD audio. It won't rip beyond about 20-30%. Last I checked, XBMC won't play a 3D ISO.
Well Linux can mount an ISO, but doesn't play the 3d.
Someone over on OE finally responded and said that 4.0.6 dealt with a volume issue in ALSA, not what I was describing. He of course wanted a log but it hasn't happened in beta 2 yet so I'm waiting. They might be fixing something in ALSA that just happens to fix my issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Better video card than nVidia 640?1