Linux Restart Intel gpu-drivers in order to re-enforce handshake with TV
Hi all!

I have recently made the step from using purpose-build IP-TV receivers to XBMC-based receivers. In the the living room, XBMC is running on a Intel i3 4130 x86 which previously served as a server (the HDMI-cable is running through a hole in the ceiling, connecting basement and first floor).

My setup is as follows:
x86-PC (Intel i3 4130, Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, 3.13.0-9, Intel drivers most up-to-date using Intels driver installer, LXDE/Lightdm) -> AVR: Onkyo NR-414 -> TV: LG 55LM760S

Everything is working fine if I first power on the TV and AVR, then the PC. As the PC is supposed to run all the time, I switch off the TV and AVR when I am finished watching TV. Now, if I power on both after some time I only get the connection AVR-TV up and running, but no graphical output from the PC. Restarting the X-Session using "service lightdm restart" does not help. When I "restart" the PC (using ssh), I can see the kernel booting and X-server/XBMC displays just fine.

I already tried certain tweaks like capturing the EDID info "cat /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:02.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-2/edid > /lib/firmware/edid/EDID-ONKYO-WITH-TV.BIN" and handing it over using "options drm_kms_helper edid_firmware=HDMI-A-2:edid/EDID-ONKYO-WITH-TV.BIN" in /etc/modprobe.d/drm-kms-helper.conf . I also disconnected the AVR and ran the hdmi cable straight to the TV.

Now, I am looking for something like rmmod i915 && modprobe i915, but the module is reported to be in use. I stopped "service lightdm stop" and also issued "echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind" (found it on the web), but still the module is blocked from unloading.

Is there any way to force the driver to start over?

Cheers
Robert
Currently not possible, even if EDID overwriting works - you will lose audio (see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1685301). There is a bug filed on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80691
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for your answer!

Okay, I already found out (the hard way) that pulseaudio will sometimes not recognize the hdmi-audio - but isn't there a way to restart the gpu-driver without restarting the whole system? If this would be possible, I would use the power-key on the remote to power on the avr and tv and restart the gpu-driver - so there would be no need for a edid-hack!?

Cheers
Robert
Very strange issue you have there.

I have the very same cpu while using ubuntu 13.10, though currently with kernel 3.15.4 and my htpc is more or less on all the time. i never had such an issue like you describe, even not with the original 3.11 kernels nor any other (not 3.12, 3.13, 3.14).

at the moment i am using the drivers and mesa stuff from oibaf's ppa. but i neither had such problems with the orignal ones from ubuntu 13.10.

looks more like an hardware issue with your mainboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Restart Intel gpu-drivers in order to re-enforce handshake with TV0