Raspi, Chomebox, Ouya or NCU
Need help with my HTPC upgrades, currently running XBMC on the Boxee Box and although it runs okay, the issues it has and the performance is getting rather annoying.

My Requirements:
1.) Ability to turn off/on or suspend/resume from a remote (similar to the Boxee box)
2.) If the above is not possible it MUST support wake on lan.
3.) Support for HD Audio (DTS, True HD etc) and 1080P
4.) 3D video (not really needed but I have a 3D TV so nice to have)

At first I was set on the Intel NCU loaded with Win8.1 and Windows XBMC and have an all in one solution, but the cost is just to high. Then I looked at the Raspi, little slow but the amount of support it has and the performance seemed alright, but then a few $$ more I could get the Chromebox. Then I was dead set on the Ouya as I could run Android apps and use XBMC but it has audio issues (not sure if they are resolved) and the hardware is kinda old.

So not really sure what to get, Chromebox looks like the right choice as you get everything in the box. But it looks like the USB drivers are broken for suspend/resume.
Intel DN2820FYKH + 2 GB RAM + USB flash drive + MCE remote + OpenELEC and you're done if you don't need 3D. A setup like that should cost around or just slightly more than the Chromebox by itself.

The Chromebox can work, but I don't think it's powerful enough to do 3D (nor is the DN2820FYKH). It doesn't have built in remote support like the NUC does. I'm not sure if it supports WOL, but the NUC definitely does. If you're not dead set on 3D as a must have, I'd definitely go with the NUC or Chromebox to save money.
(2014-07-09, 04:18)two515ty Wrote: Intel DN2820FYKH + 2 GB RAM + USB flash drive + MCE remote + OpenELEC and you're done if you don't need 3D. A setup like that should cost around or just slightly more than the Chromebox by itself.

The Chromebox can work, but I don't think it's powerful enough to do 3D (nor is the DN2820FYKH). It doesn't have built in remote support like the NUC does. I'm not sure if it supports WOL, but the NUC definitely does. If you're not dead set on 3D as a must have, I'd definitely go with the NUC or Chromebox to save money.

Both ChromeBox models (celeron and i3) support 3D as well as WOL. The resume from suspend via IR is a Linux/USB3 issue, and is not ChromeBox-specific (outside of it not having anything except USB3 ports)
well the IR issue i'm sure will get resolved at some point so not the biggest issue in the world as long as WOL works. The Intel NCU is gonna be at least $300 if not more for all the components so I think thats out of the question. If the chromebox supports 3D SBS @ 1080P then its a done deal.

Another question are we able to launch Chrome OS apps within XBMC or install a browser in OE?
(2014-07-09, 05:01)jebise Wrote: well the IR issue i'm sure will get resolved at some point so not the biggest issue in the world as long as WOL works. The Intel NCU is gonna be at least $300 if not more for all the components so I think thats out of the question. If the chromebox supports 3D SBS @ 1080P then its a done deal.

Another question are we able to launch Chrome OS apps within XBMC or install a browser in OE?

1080P 3D SBS (2x 960x1080) is no problem at all.

you can install the Chromium browser, but not sure what ChromeOS apps you are able to run from there. Pretty sure Netflix/Hulu are a no-go at this point, if that's what you were looking for.
Hmm this might just be the box for me. Since i'm in Canada don't have hulu and have netflix on the TV, I just want a browser to look at things on the TV if I need to. Plus i'm sure I can open the browser and go to netflix and stream that way even if I don't have an app. Then I can always dual boot if I really wanted the apps.
3D SBS at 960x1080 (for each eye) is identical to 2D 1080p, just as 3D TAB at 1280x360 is identical to 2D 720p. This is why those formats are used - as they require no additional power (and can use existing 2D kit) They effectively compromise picture quality to guarantee that you can watch them on very basic kit.

Raspberry Pis and up can play this kind of content as it is identical, to the player, to 2D content.

However - if you want Frame Packed full resolution output (where you get full resolution 1920x1080/24p or 1280x720/60p for each eye) then you either need MVC decoding, or a box that can cope with 1920x2160/3840x1080 or 1280x1440/2560x720 decoding, and output. This is where you need specific support in the GPU, as you are decoding and outputting twice the amount of information as a 2D signal. (And MVC - the format used natively for 3D Blu-rays - is Windows only currently. You can convert MVC to double-resolution SBS or TAB offline I believe)
I ended up with the Pi for now, gonna hold of until the fall for Android TV, and hopefully then if the Android TV is not a good option then ChromeBox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspi, Chomebox, Ouya or NCU0