Crash to desktop during playback
Yesterday i encountered something odd, i played some anime and at a certain part XBMC crashed to the desktop.. after a whole night of having windows tell me that XBMC is running out of memory (8GB RAM) i figured it might be best to reboot the machine.
I skipped to the part that XBMC would crash on, and unfortunatly, it crashed again.
Second time i turned debugging on and skipped to the part where it would crash, and here is the log.

Now at the end of the log it states that it cant find arial so its using dejavu sans instead, but the system has arial on it (i checked) is it an error related to the MKV not containing the font ?

I tried to reproduce the issue with other players, MPC-HC or MPV did not have this issue and played trough fine.

System info:

XBMC 13.1 on WIndows 8.1
Intel® Core™ i3-4130 (this is the GPU too)
8GB Ram
log
I suspect the can't find arial font has to do with C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\media\Fonts/arial.ttf but would not likely bring your system down. You do have quite a few Discontinuity errors and dropping packet losses, anyone of which could bring the system down. These are XBMC waiting for a handshake of some fetch. Run the onscreen OSD (using the keybaord 'o' command) looking for bottle necks and were the loss of packets are. I further suspect that 3rd party add-ons might be the villian here, and suggest you disable all these 3rd party add-ons and run the base skin confluence and let's see how that works out.
Thanks for your response PatK!

Unfortunatly XBMC still crashes to the desktop.
To completely exclude my system from being the fault, i installed xbmc on my Macbook(13" Late 2013) and on the same part xbmc crashes to the desktop.

I think it has to do with the ASS engine which has too many things to process?
This video is very heavy on the translation of signs, im gonna check the ASS itself and see if i can find which part of the subs is causing the issue.
though, i cant stress enough that other players(that i tested) dont have this issue.

Will get back on this.

Edit:

cant exactly pinpoint where it comes from but i have extracted a small part of the MKV where the crash happens, i uploaded it so others can check this and hopefully this will be fixed at some point..
the file is located here the crash will occur shortly after 10 seconds in, i couldnt shorten the file any more, unfortunatly.
Running VLC 2.13 your sample crashes at ~50% mark.... the file is corrupt. I note MKVmerge was used, and suspect further massaging of the file might skip over the dangerous bits (try handbrake on it). XBMC isn't going to be handling this file better. On another note: I found a player that ignores the errors and plays it all....

Normally I'm rife to try downloaded files... but in this case I threw my better judgment out the window, pls don't send another file sample.
Yeah i used MKVmerge to split up the file, its quite easy to do.
I realised after i uploaded it that a sample file might not be the way to go(and i wont again), but the file definetly isnt corrupted.
I didnt try VLC, but to be honest VLC shouldnt be a player to measure these things by(imo its kind of a shitty player, no offense to VLC fans)

MPC-HC for example plays the file fine, MPV too.
When i play the file without subs, it plays trough fine too (even in XBMC)
I inspected the ASS(with aegisub) file and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it nor is there any point where subs break in players that do play the file like it should.

Im almost certain that the ASS engine cant hande the amount of styling used in the file, same probably goes for VLC.

I realise that not much can be done at this point, but acknowledgement that there is indeed an issue here, not with the file, but limitations of XBMC would probably go a long way.

Thanks for your help though, PatK Big Grin
Quote:I didnt try VLC, but to be honest VLC shouldnt be a player to measure these things by(imo its kind of a shitty player, no offense to VLC fans)
Just so that you know, the same code in VLC is what XBMC uses for it's internal player, perhaps you would be better off making MPC-HC your external default, it does tend to skip errors, there is a small risk playing these kind of land mine files of a bit explosion.
Mkay, i'll look into that.

isnt the downside to an external player that xbmc controls no longer work, and no overlay either right ?

and no, i didnt know that.. i feel slightly ashamed now for saying that XD
Yes you lose the XBMC skin controls (at least that's my understanding and was the last time I set this up) but the native players controls are effective at that point. Don;t worry too much about saying it as it is, I've found XBMC picky, but it sure helps weed out corruption and disk errors. Others have found XBMC too soft edged and from the messages it's clear there's no pleasing everyone, I personally love XBMC and the built in player handles just about everything, but the devs don't rest, and each iteration brings better and more. The video player is a bit behind in code unless you're running a nightly, but something tells me that the error correction is ever watchful.
Found the issue, it lies with libass.
see: https://github.com/libass/libass/issues/115

Its being worked on Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash to desktop during playback0