Network issue. High speed ethernet vs gigabit
So after different posts in forums and troubleshooting it turns out my laptop ISNT gigabit like some websites claim but is high speed ethernet.
(They also say HD port but the HD port has a rubber plug in it and the HD port doesn't exist under it. Strange)

Anyway, short of getting a new laptop is there ANY way to transfer files from my laptop to my NUC HDD (running openelec) at better than the 11mb im getting through ethernet? ?

I'm also getting about 2/3mb on wifi.

Are these speeds normal or is there anything I can do?

(I'm new around here so complicated tech answers will leave me scratching my head!!)

NB. I appreciate it's a network issue but I thought you guys seem techy/knowledgable enough to help advise!
100Mb/sec is about the same as 10MB/sec. Live with it. 100Mb/sec is more than enough to stream all media you will need to watch.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
1. The 11 MB/sec you are seeing is normal for a 100 Mbps ethernet connection and I'm assuming that "High Speed Ethernet" means 100 Mbps.

2. 2 to 3 MB/s over WiFi is slow and I'm assuming you are either running very old WiFi equipment (802.11b) or you are running newer (802.11g or 802.11n) but you are connecting to the NUC through several walls with metal beams in them and various other obstacles if you are seeing speeds that slow.

I doubt you have 802.11n if you are seeing slow speeds like that.

At 2 to 3 MB/s I wouldn't bother trying to do anything over that connection other than browse the internet because it really is too slow to be useful.

3. If you are going to be working with media and large video files you would be far better off with a Gigabit connection because you will then be able to transfer data to and from the NUC at anywhere from around 60 MB/s upwards depending on the specific equipment involved.

The question is, does your NUC support Gigabit ? Because if not, you are wasting your time upgrading the thing talking to the NUC.

100 Mb/s (what you have now) should be sufficient for streaming any HD media you come across. It's only transferring of data that could do with a noticeable improvement in your case.

Bottom line: Your network speeds are directly influenced by the specific equipment you have and it sounds like you have slowish equipment, which means the performance you are getting is normal. But that's based purely on the little bit of information you gave above. I would need more detailed on your equipment to be sure.
If you are streaming then 100Mb/sec is absolutely plenty.

If you want to permanently move files around your house and your network speed is driving you crazy then get a large external HD and do it bit by bit. Except I find that is more crazy making than setting the network transfer up and then forgetting about it. So what if it takes hours or days? Just let it finish while you chill.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
When you say "11mb" do you mean 11 megabytes per second, or 11 megabits per second?

If you mean 11 megabytes, you are going about as fast as you are going to go. A laptop disk drive isn't going to read or write faster than that, so gigabit ethernet isn't going to help.

If you mean 11 megabits per second, then it sounds like you have an ethernet problem. Either something is configured to run at 10 megabit, or if you are running at 100mb, you have a duplex mismatch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network issue. High speed ethernet vs gigabit0