COMPLETED: XBMC v13.2 beta testing
Hi,

I have just seen your list of corrections and am puzzled with the one concerning accented letters. As far as french is concerned, caps letters should not be accented. So "variés" should be "VARIES". As fonts now have accented caps, "VARIÉS" is far more acceptable than "VARIéS" : mixing lower caps and caps is awkward.

I haven't seen any long discussion about this and am sorry if I only pop up now saying "hey guys ... you're wrong !" Just let me now if I can help you on this subject.

Regards,
Daniel
@danielha:

The issue crops up when a word that is specified in lowercase "variés" in the translation file is used by the skin in Full caps.
The systems calls for a function to make capitals out of the letters. Because of an issue with the way UTF8 works this was not possible for all letters, leading to 'VARIéS'

The change basically adds a correct mapping to the relevant capital accented letter. so that every accented letter now becomes capital as well.
In some languages, such as French this might be considered wrong¹ - showing 'VARIÉS' but in general the capitalisation has improved overall - I mean, at least you know what is meant ! ²

I hope this explains the resoning and the change.

Kib

¹) You say "As far as french is concerned, caps letters should not be accented.", but other (more reputable ?) sources like the Académie Française have the following idea about it:
Académie Française Wrote:On ne peut que déplorer que l'usage des accents sur les majuscules soit flottant. On observe dans les textes manuscrits une tendance certaine à l'omission des accents. En typographie, parfois, certains suppriment tous les accents sur les capitales sous prétexte de modernisme, en fait pour réduire les frais de composition.

Il convient cependant d'observer qu'en français, l'accent a pleine valeur orthographique. Son absence ralentit la lecture, fait hésiter sur la prononciation, et peut même induire en erreur. Il en va de même pour le tréma et la cédille.

On veille donc, en bonne typographie, à utiliser systématiquement les capitales accentuées, y compris la préposition À, comme le font bien sûr tous les dictionnaires, à commencer par le Dictionnaire de l'Académie française, ou les grammaires, comme Le Bon Usage de Grevisse, mais aussi l'Imprimerie nationale, la Bibliothèque de la Pléiade, etc. Quant aux textes manuscrits ou dactylographiés, il est évident que leurs auteurs, dans un souci de clarté et de correction, auraient tout intérêt à suivre également cette règle.

²) Would you rather like BISCUITS SALES or BISCUITS SALÉS ?
Hi Kib,

Thanks for your reply. I did misunderstand the post on the web site saying :
Fix accented letters. Example: “VARIéS” rather than “VARIÉS”
I thought the devs would use the lowercase accented letter !

For some reason I was sure that accented caps was not the rule in French. And as many (at least I think I'm nt the only one thinking this way) I tend to not use accented caps. It may be because we don't have accented caps on our french keyboards Smile

However your quote is quite clear and obviously more reputable. I shall comply to the rule !

As an answer to your last question, using "SALES", a french reader would easiy read and understand the bicuits are salty. Someone not fluent in french could easily understand the biscuits are dirty Smile So I'd rather have them "SALÉS" while dinking a cold beer Big Grin

Regards,
Daniel
Is there any ETA on 13.3? Thank you!
13.2 is not even out yet ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-07-30, 08:11)fritsch Wrote: 13.2 is not even out yet ...
I'm waiting for the OSX audio passthrough fixes that didn't make it into the most recent beta build. I've had to revert to an earlier releases, so I am eager to see this get resolved.
Oops, I feel asleep at the wheel. pre-13.2 beta 3 is out now. Thanks Martijn for updating the links in the first post :)
(2014-08-02, 21:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Oops, I feel asleep at the wheel. pre-13.2 beta 3 is out now. Thanks Martijn for updating the links in the first post Smile
Does this include the OSX fix or no? Thanks.
(2014-08-02, 21:47)Hoosier205 Wrote:
(2014-08-02, 21:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Oops, I feel asleep at the wheel. pre-13.2 beta 3 is out now. Thanks Martijn for updating the links in the first post Smile

I believe it does, yes.
(2014-08-02, 21:51)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-08-02, 21:47)Hoosier205 Wrote:

I believe it does, yes.

I did a real quick test and dts en dolby audio are working again on the OSX 64 bit version
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
Thank you!
13.2b3 does not show album artist "Various Artists" in music -> artist view. 13.1 does.

Log of scanning a music folder with single album folder / FLAC files is here:
debug log
Each FLAC file is tagged with
Code:
ALBUM ARTIST Various Artists
ALBUMARTIST Various Artists

Additionally, comparisons of MyMusic46.db from 13.1 and 13.2b3 show differences in the Artist entry. 13.1 shows artist as "Various Artists" and adds scraped artist MBID and art. 13.2b3 shows artist as "Various artists" (lower-case "a" for "artists") and does not scrape artist MBID nor art.

Add'l discussion is in this thread:
[BUG] Gotham 13.2 b2 - not showing Album Artist (from Compilations) in Artist list

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
It'd be useful for the comparative 13.1 scan of the same test stuff.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-08-03, 01:19)jmarshall Wrote: It'd be useful for the comparative 13.1 scan of the same test stuff.

Well that's interesting Confused on a fresh install of 13.1 I get the same results as 13.2beta. I will have to dig into my main 13.1 system and see if I can figure out what is different with that library (I have my full music library in there so it will take some effort).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I'm testing the 13.2 Gotham in a android TV Box UG008 and it's pretty god
It's stable.
I wonder you can put this menu in the power options like in the 12.3 version.
It would be great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
COMPLETED: XBMC v13.2 beta testing1