Getting Speakers to work for Cable Box and HTPC
Hey guys,

I recently got cable television and I'm having audio woes. I have a HTPC, a set top box from comcast, a lempai 2020A+ amp, and dayton B652 bookshelf speakers. I want to have my speakers work for both the PC and the set top box but I'm having troubles getting it configured correctly.

This is my current set up: HTPC & Set top Box are connected via HDMI to the television. Lempai Amp is connected to the speakers and to the TV via RCA. For some reason, audio is still coming out of the TV speakers as opposed to the daytons. Is this is hardware limitation or just a TV setting issue?
If your feeding sound from the TV, it sound like it may be a TV setting issue. Look under the audio settings in the menu, her might be something about audio output
Sounds like you have the amp hooked into an input on the TV and not an Output port. Hence why you get audio on the tv but not the speakers.
Maybe I have my nomenclature wrong, but, wouldn't I want it plugged into the "input" because the output from the amp is going into the input of my TV? Here's the back of my TV if it helps.

I've also tried putting the RCA cables into the red and white ports to the left of where they currently are and same thing.
Sorry to say you can't do what you what with your current setup.

The TV would have to have a RCA AUDIO OUTPUT, as opposed to what you have , which is audio input for composite video. The RCA connection in the lempai is input.

You can check if your cable box has RCA audio output and connect the lempai directly to it, if that's not the case, your only solution is to buy a proper amplifier with toslink input (So you can connect your tv to it, because you do have that, the little black square next to your RCA cables labeled DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT) or get a digital to analogue audio converter, which may cost you more than buying a used amplifier.

Good luck.
based on that picture, the only audio output your TV supports is digital optical (SPDIF). All the other audio connections pictured are inputs. If your amp doesn't have an optical input, you'll need a converter from optical to whatever your amp supports.

then, you'll need to configure the TV to output audio via the optical port, and not use its built-in speakers
Ok, well it's good to know I'm not crazy just a little dumb, haha.
If your amp doesn't have optical input, something like this would get the job done and they don't seem too expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-An...dif+to+rca

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting Speakers to work for Cable Box and HTPC0