Raspberry Pi Model B+ Now on Sale
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28263659

http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-r...el-b-plus/
looks like a good improvement on an already great design:-)

im mostly interested to see the difference the new power circuits play with psu's and over clocking.

D.
Good to see the update but I personally can't benefit from it unless it includes gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0. Hopefully this will be included in a near future model c. I hope they keep up the great work though!
There is no plan for RPI model c.
It now makes sense why so many vendors dropped their prices so low.

I do like the new board but personally I dont think it adds much except better power managment. I liked that the price was falling, you could get it below £24, now the new board costs around £30

I dont see the extra peripherals being that much of a plus. I still see people bying the Pi for mainly XBMC as the biggest driving force, so the extra peripherals are kinda a waste??

but its a good move for the Pi. because its something new and I bet they will sell a million quick lol. I would rather have seen better power management and the price dropped to £22-£20
The extra usb ports is a big thumbs up from me! I have been building an ambilight raspbmc box for my father in law and struggling with the model B 2*usb design. Difficult to have a remote control, wifi and take usb sticks. Not many people I know have a wired LAN around their homes, or a server. The addition of a push type SD card improves of the friction type as this may reduce the number of incorrectly inserted cards (thus corrupting and frying them). New B+ boards are already out of stock :-(
I'll be curious to see how much improved the analog audio is. They say the RCA Video Out is replaced by a 4-pin header?
This is the 4 pin header... Similar to the A/V port in digital camcorders.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/...cables.jpg
So does that mean it will have component as well as composite? or is that just audio with composite?

EDIT: Now I see, its just audio with composite.
Wonder how the over clocking handles now with the new power consumption
(2014-07-14, 14:22)whitebelly Wrote: I'll be curious to see how much improved the analog audio is. They say the RCA Video Out is replaced by a 4-pin header?

Analogue audio is a little louder and has better response (more bass).
There is better isolation from power supply noise, which should avoid the growls and rumbles you could get with a noisy supply.

It's probably fine for headphones or TV audio, but the HDMI output is better if you have decent amplifier/speakers.
(2014-07-14, 15:40)ismadder Wrote: Wonder how the over clocking handles now with the new power consumption

The improved power supply means more people will be able to achieve maximum overclock with a less than perfect power supply.

It was when playing with a B+ that I bumped some of the overclock limits (which used to be 1200MHz for arm, 600MHz for core and 600MHz for sdram).
This was the first time I had a device that could exceed those numbers.

This is overclock of course. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'd predict the average overclock achievable will be higher with a B+ than a B.
I can confirm that I could overclock my model a higher than model b (1170 vs 1120) and I believe this is because model a consumes lower power. So I assume this will translate for the model b+

popcornmix I think 1200 is at the tip of the curve. since its not a linear relationship. so anything more than 1200 and I dont think you should notice any further speed improvements? or am I wrong.

I wonder if model b will be sold at a lower price. right now model b can be picked up for £24
(2014-07-14, 16:54)MediaPi Wrote: popcornmix I think 1200 is at the tip of the curve. since its not a linear relationship. so anything more than 1200 and I dont think you should notice any further speed improvements? or am I wrong.
For arm cpu limited tasks then the improvement with arm_freq is linear. So if you could achieve 1250MHz it would be measurably faster than 1200MHz (although the % increase is small).

Quote:I wonder if model b will be sold at a lower price. right now model b can be picked up for £24

Technically they are both available at the same price ($35), although Amazon has been selling model B's cheap for a while (£24 including VAT and postage).
I guess it depends on their stock levels whether that price will go up or down (or the model B's just disappear).

You'll probably find going direct to the distributors (RS and Farnell/element14, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/buy/) is cheaper than Amazon for the B+
as I believe Amazon has to buy through the distributors.
Yes I've noticed that going direct to the official distributors is cheaper for b+. Thanks for the explanation of the increase of the Pi. I understand the % increase is not much (~ 4.2% )

want to see model B selling for £22 Big Grin . I don't need the extra minor increase in performance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Model B+ Now on Sale0