Raspberry Pi Model B+ Now on Sale
I bought 6 of them from MCMElectronics in the US, in order to get free shipping (orders over $200). At the time (sunday night) they only had the 8GB noobs SD card bundle available, but I found a 15% coupon online by searching google, so the price per Pi was only $34. I figure I'll keep one and then sell the others on ebay for $40, which is what they cost without coupon, and pays for the one I keep :D
Power supply of the B+?
I am wondering if the improved power supply (switching circuit) handles the 5V line in addition to the lower supply voltages?
The B is very sensitive to voltage drops in the cable from the power supply to the Pi, especially for the Ethernet subsystem and it has been a major PITA for me when using Pi. Over-the-counter micro-USB cables are often lacking in wire area leading to the actual voltage on the pi end being just 4.6V or even lower when using a PSU that actually delivers 5V or above. All due to the cable, but hard for a normal user to know when buying one.

So it would be a great improvement of B+ if they have addressed this higher voltage issue as well.
Is there any indication of an input voltage range that will make the Pi guaranteed to work?
Bo Berglund
Sweden
The power LED goes out when voltage drops below about 4.65V so it's easy to diagnose a bad power supply.
The ~30% less power usage means some borderline supplies become usable.
Well,
the experience I had with the model B is that even at 4.6V at the Pi it sort of worked, but the wired network did not work.
I got the GUI onto the TV and such but XBMC would be totally unable to download add-ons.

I believe someone here said that the Ethernet system runs partly off of 5V and since this gets out of spec at 4.6V then operation on the network is flakey or non-working.
And I used a 2.5A supply that actually supplied 5.1V. The drop was in the micro-USB cable. Sad
So I had hoped that the new supply would provide for a stable 5V too using up conversion from say 3V....

For a rundown on the power cable problem see this report.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Model B+ Now on Sale0