Play a smart playlist vs. viewing its contents
This may be a dumb question but I've searched these and other forums and haven't found a solid answer other than 'choose _____ skin'.

I have a few smart playlists that I have added to my favourites, for example, one is called "Comedy Hour". When I browse to favorites > Comedy Hour, it shows the 4 episodes randomly generated by the playlist. Cool. I play one and then when it ends it takes me back to the playlist with new random episodes. Not so cool.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do I have a setting wrong?

I guess I'm wondering why the smart playlist doesn't just play when you click on it. What would be the point of viewing it?

I was using the Bello skin which allowed you to add a playlist to the home screen and tell it to play, but not all skins have this and it seems like there ought to be a default XBMC setting to control how playlists behave.

Any thoughts?
Agree. I also don't know the reasons for this behavior.

You could use the c-key (or right-click, x btn on gamepad) to bring up the context menu on a playlist and select 'play' to play the whole list. Or you could use the context menu within a playlist to select 'play from here'.
Technically speaking, XBMC's smart playlists are actually more like "smart folders". If you select it and press "play" directly, rather than "select" (in a dpad, for example) then it should play. There are also some skins that support mapping smart playlists as home screen options that will also give you an option of playing back or viewing.
(2014-07-15, 08:32)Ned Scott Wrote: If you select it and press "play" directly, rather than "select" (in a dpad, for example) then it should play.
This is actually a really good tip, works great! I now have the actual Playlist menu item added to my favorites so it's easy to access, and then just clicking the play button on a certain smart playlist fires it up. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play a smart playlist vs. viewing its contents0