Creating a NFS source with SMB fallback
Hi,

I'm willing to use nfs to share video files from the home server instead of smb in order to reduce cpu utilisation and increase responsiveness generally. But every now and then nfs shares on the server starts acting up.

Is there a way to create a video source with one protocol as default and a second one as a fallback? Ex: nfs://home-server/Movies with smb://home-server/Movies as fallback. I'm sure you get it by now but the idea is to try and use nfs as the default protocol for every file and only use smb if nfs fails.

I have tried to add both nfs and smb paths to "Movies" folder while creating "video source" in xbmc and ended up having duplicate entries. So I think that is not the way to do it.
nope.
It's not possible.

Although it sounds like a good idea to have a fallback option like that, the reality is that you actually need to figure out why your NFS shares randomly go offline because that should not be happening, ever.

I have NFS shares enabled on my NAS and my NAS runs 24/7 and stays on for months at a time without a reboot and I NEVER have problems with the NFS shares.

If anything, NFS is more reliable than SMB, so you really need to solve the actual problem and stop trying to work around it to be honest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creating a NFS source with SMB fallback0