• 2(current)
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture
consider it done mate.
i'm shopping with aussie dollars so they are not worth much but hopefully i can help with the next packet of chips and a drink you buy!
right! well i've just skip off the "usual places" and go searching for this new gem
Thumbs Up 
let the skinning begin Image hehe ...suggest that all skinners make a corresponding dvd-cover for their skin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i presume it was because of a problem which is quite common in software. xbmp probably wasn't designed initially to encompass the vast number of features and capabilities that it has today. without a complete re-write from the ground up it eventually becomes more and more difficult to implement new features and keep it bug free. they now have the benefit of hindsight and can avoid any problems which cropped up in xbmp.

plus there is the implementation of new core features which wouldn't be possible in xbmp without some major re-writes anyway. now they can start with a clean slate knowing pretty much exactly where they want to go and how they are going to get there. this should eventually result in a much faster, less resource hungry and more stable app with far fewer bugs. it also makes it easier for the devs to maintain, which is good for us since it means bugs get fixed much faster :d
wonderful program! i love it. thanks frodo and team.

-eric
thanks for the answare frodo.
i realy look forward to test xbmc.

are you still working with usb support for hauppauge win tv?

rui
i definately beleive the project should have been started over into something like this, looking at the old xbox media player it was a massive merge of two code bases, what we needed was a clean streamlined player written from scratch, since xbmp resembles more of a hack job then anything right now.

hopefully some of the non-official devs move over to this project and help contribute to it!
Sad 
just curious: is it still based on mplayer ?
dextrose member.
Question 
great to see xbox development improving.

:d
just wanted to wish you good luck! it looks really promising.

and that irritating green/purple line when playing movies with illigal resolutions are totally gone! Image

thank you guys!
it looks very nice.
i'm really seeing forward to follow the development of xbmc.

great work guys!!
(ravemax @ oct. 01 2003,19:14 Wrote:just curious: is it still based on mplayer ?
hope i get this right as frodo explained it to me; xbmc is multi core/engine capable with dynamic loading, what this means is that in theory almost any core/engine would be ported and used and xbmc could switch between them on-the-fly, xbmc could for exampel use the mplayer engine to play divx & xvid but use the xine engine to play mp3 and mpeg (just an exampel). but currenly only the mplayer core/engine has been ported (to mplayer.dll), a xine core/engine is also planed (as xine.dll), no eta on it though.

ps! the gui is not based on mplayer or anything else, it is written from scratch.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Thumbs Up 
i wanna thanks all xbmp/xbmc dev team, your've created a very good application that i hardly believed it is just a hobbist's software project.
you guys are the sh*%&!!!!!

__
lir
(frodo @ oct. 02 2003,17:51 Wrote:xbmc supports multiple decoder engines
at the moment mplayer is the first engine for xbmc,
but the architecture/design can handle others as well
for example we want to port xine also so you can choose
between the 2 based on filenames, file extensions,.....

no we dont have a general winamp/xmms style plugin system
why not? because the xbox doesnt support dynamic dll loading from the box.
this may seem like a small thing for you, but i assure you its not. until somebody writes a complete functional and good dll loader you wont see a plugin system.

yes there's a dlloader in xbmc which loads the mplayer.dll
but this is not a generic and full functional dll loader.
its only supports 1 dll at the time.
if someone wants to extends this for multiple dlls, then that would b great. cause only then we can have a true plugin system

frodo
think this also means the active engine must support both playing video & audio stream codec/format.
ex. if test.avi has ac3 audio & xvid video mplayer.dll must support both if it is suppose to be used.
i have yet to install the xbmc, i was wondering how far off it is until it has the same functionality and stability (if you can call it that) of xbmp? what features are still lacking in comparison?

thanks.
the jaff
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture0