• 4(current)
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture
the latest build made me delete xbmp :d

so if you don't think the ff/rw feature is a must right now change today Image
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
i'm just back from three week holiday/sickness, this was the list i had before so it is not quite up-to-date, but almost Smile

features/functions in xbmp that are not yet in xbmc:

- control panel
- osd (on screen display)
- matroska file container
- screensaver (black screen) on configurable timer
- ftp-server (maybe use filiezilla or better if get avalaunch code)
- webserver
- ttf gui fonts, (why not skip mplayer fonts and only use ttf fonts?)
- ttf subtitle fonts, (why not skip mplayer fonts and only use ttf fonts?)
- vobsub subtitles (un-compressed), need to be improved (hdd cached and read in smaller portions?)
- compressed (rar) vobsub subtitles, need to be improved (hdd cached and read in smaller portions?)
- video bookmarking (so can resume a movie later, even after reboot)
- switch between multiple audio streams/tracks in avi, ogm, and mkv
- stack multi-file videos option, plays files ending with _cdx & -cdx & .cdx as one
- post-processing filters for better video quality
- de-interlace filter (for interlaced video) implemented
- auto clipping/cropping filter (for video with black letterboxes)
- audio amplifying filter
- audio normalization filter
- "output to all speakers", option to output mono or stereo to all 4.1(?) and/or 5.1 surround speakers
  (maybe best to create separate "output to all speakers" for 'my videos' and 'my music, it's a fr)
- ffwd/rwd seeking and pause during audio visualization, also on normal music playback whithout visualization (so in menu only)
- tv-guide  (xmltv show listings)
- full dashboard replacement mode (launch other applications and games)
- command line option available when launch a xbe via shortcut (.cut)
- option to auto-launch other application on audio-cd insert (maybe make this fully configurable from gui in xbmc?)
- option to auto-launch other application on dvd-movie insert (maybe make this fully configurable from gui in xbmc?)
- iso 9660 option to cache the whole file to harddrive before play (and option to select which drive to cache to)
- audio cue sheets (.cue) support (should work with all xbmc supported audio codecs)
- bi-directional (right to left) subtitle support (hebrew, etc. languages)
- option to display title/album information during audio visualization
- option to display album cover/tumbnail during audio visualization
- xbox front led control
- change video settings (read/write to eeprom) big warning here!!! (more than one confim/cancel option with info?)
- streaming video from a tivo over network (requires hacked tivo running ccxstream), to be ported by duo later?
- dvd-movie playback w menu (has to wait until xine has been ported?, btw who is porting xine to xbox/xbmc?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
now thats what i'm talking about!! Smile

the reason i asked for the comparison is that i am familiar with xmbp, and its important to know if i am going to loose functionality by upgrading.. seeing a list like that lets me really weigh the options and make a good decision. for me, i really like the option of running the medial player as a dashboard replacement. without ftp, that is my answer right there i suppose.. but some of the other great things i have been hearing about media center make me consider going back to running another dash..

thanks for your detailed list, it was exactly what i was looking for, and i hope it was useful to more than just me..
@thejaff. you don't have to 'upgrade' though. xbmc and xbmp will happilly co-exist on the same xbox, so you can try xbmc without messing up your install of xbmp.
(gamester17 @ jan. 05 2004,15:03 Wrote:features/functions in xbmp that are not yet in xbmc:

- osd (on screen display)
- ftp-server (maybe use filiezilla or better if get avalaunch code)
- webserver
- switch between multiple audio streams/tracks in avi, ogm, and mkv
- post-processing filters for better video quality
- de-interlace filter (for interlaced video) implemented
- auto clipping/cropping filter (for video with black letterboxes)
- audio amplifying filter
- "output to all speakers", option to output mono or stereo to all 4.1(?) and/or 5.1 surround speakers
  (maybe best to create separate "output to all speakers" for 'my videos' and 'my music, it's a fr)
- full dashboard replacement mode (launch other applications and games)
- option to auto-launch other application on audio-cd insert (maybe make this fully configurable from gui in xbmc?)
- option to auto-launch other application on dvd-movie insert (maybe make this fully configurable from gui in xbmc?)
- option to display title/album information during audio visualization
- option to display album cover/tumbnail during audio visualization

all the above is implemented already in the latest cvs release.  Smile
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
full dashboard replacement is already in?
installation like with xbmp (.cut and so on)?

could somebody confirm this, before i mess up my dash? :-)
(nei @ jan. 06 2004,17:09 Wrote:full dashboard replacement is already in?
installation like with xbmp (.cut and so on)?

could somebody confirm this, before i mess up my dash? :-)
nope just put all iles in the root of your boot partition like any other dash atm.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i just had to come back to let you know... i am never going back either!!! i do have it running as a dash replacement, ftp working great.. and it all seems a whole lot more stable than xbmp did.. thanks a lot..
xbmc in its current state is working quite nicely for me as well.  i was never able to get samba to work in xbmp, but after the 3.0.1 implementation it has been working fine for the most part.  

i think the main thing i'm waiting for is ff/rw or at least the ability to more selectively choose where to move ahead/back in a video (actually, this is probably better since i think ff/rw might choke when i do it through a wireless connection).
when will there be a non-beta version of xbmc. its working pretty well now, except it just seems a bit buggy. when can we expect to see a very stable and final version out? thanks and love xbmc. awesome work out there and really appreciate it.
hehe "final version". i think there never will be a final version. there are always things to add. and where is the difference between stabel and beta in such a project?
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i'm curious on what you mean by "it seems buggy" ?
do you say this by your own experience?
if so, what do you think is so buggy?

ofcourse there are bugs, but i do not think xbmp has less bugs.

i ask this cause i spoke to a person who did not try xbmc cause it was alpha and thus in his opinion buggy (wich is not essentially true)

anyway, when the day is right, the mood is good, most wanted features are in, version is stable. who knows, the odds may be right for releasing a 1.0 then Smile.
in short, it's hard to tell. why not use it now? why the magic 1.0 number needs to be attached? won't make it play better than it is now Smile

have fun! and enjoy.
hullebulle: with a project that is good such as this one, i know that there will always be things to add. beta's seem to have a great chance of bugs and a regular version number without the word beta should be stable and not crash and be quick and play 99% of the files correctly.

mrmario64: i have experienced a bug that occurs very often and xbmc freezes and others have posted some things too so i am not the only one. i do use xbmc and have come across some of these things with files not playing and xbmc crashing when i try to play them.

thanks for the responses.
to the developers,

i write to you to humbly appologise to my lack of enthusiasm about xbox media center.
up until now i did not concieve why xbox media player would be abandoned in favour of a new player. every time i found out about a new release of xbmc i would download it when i got around to it and test it to see if it was any good or not. i would use it for a minute or two and then it would never be used again until a new release came out. i would post feature requests but in secret i would long for those feature requests to be implemented into xbmp and not xbmc. i would launch xbmc and see the noodle skin, only to miss xbmp and go back to that.

however, today after trying the impossible of making the xbmp subs just as readable as those directvobsub on windows makes, i decided to look at xbmc a little closer.
i looked at the features and thought "hmm, this is actually pretty nifty" but still longed for the appearance and *feel* of my beloved xbmp. on my quest for coolness, i stumbled upon the general settings, and thought i would take a look at some of the alternative skins available. who knows? perhaps the default xbmp skin will be there. i looked through 2 or 3, and no, it wasn't. i was about to look through the rest when i stumbled upon the hi-fi skin. i was awe-stricken, and i don't mind telling you that as soon as i layed eyes upon that skin, something happened which hadn't happened since i started going through puberty. nuff said.

so, in conclusion, i will be going back to xbmp, but will often rendezvous with my new secret lover, xbmc. what will make me leave xbmp for xbmc? nothing much really. and nothing that hasn't been mentioned over and over before. rw/ff (i'll take this opportunity to cast my vote for one similar to xbmp's 2x, 4x, etc), the option to change the audio track, a much nicer subtitle font (truetype, arial will do, however with border as well as shadow(xbmp only had shadow)), and the ability to disable hdd auto-off (scared the hell out of me first time it did it).

so, i say to you, developers of xbmc, thankyou, i would never have even thought about getting an xbox if not for you.
i'd say i love you all, but that may be taking it too far.

sincerley
morien
hehe glad you fell in love with xbmc!
about your points:
ff/rw: 2x, 4x etc, well we're hoping to get it in xbmc also

the option to change the audio track
its already there in the latest xbmc release

a much nicer subtitle font
again, look @ the latest xbmc. it got a very nice subtitle font

disable hdd auto-off
also already implemented in xbmc (set the timeout to 0)

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture0