XBMC Wiki
<<Angry begin vent Angry>>
Am I the only one who finds the Wiki incredibly frustrating to use?
It reads like a Logitech user guide - lots of info on what I can do but any info on how to do it is almost impossible to find unless you know the EXACT keyword to search for.

Don't misunderstand me. I love XBMC and the community does an amazing job of developing and maintaining an awesome bit of software.

I make no secret of the fact that I am not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to this stuff, but I am seriously tired of being told "read the wiki" and then spending hours going round and round in circles searching for instructions on basic functions.

Right now I am trying to troubleshoot my library of TV shows and I am being told to make sure I am in File Mode and not Library Mode.
A search of the wiki for File Mode gives me lots of useful information on what File Mode is and when I should use it. The same for Library Mode.

What I have NOT found is any kind of information on how to check which mode I am in, and/or how to change from one to the other.
<<Cool end vent Cool>>

Thank you. I feel much better now that I have that out of my system Big Grin
I am no longer active in these forums. Replying to, or commenting on, anything I have said in these forums is a waste of your time.
Which page mentioned "file mode"? There used to be two different modes for the video library, but that's no longer the case. I had thought I had found all of those references, but I guess not. The reason you can't find information on File mode is because it simply no longer exists.

If you think the wiki is frustrating now, you should have seen it a few years ago when I started on the Team. Massive walls of text, tons of outdated information, and pages would sometimes contradict each other. We've come a long way since then.

The wiki is very large, and some pages get more attention than others. For the last few years I've been attempting to get it all in order and make it easier for new users to understand, but understand that this is not just the written information, but creating the layouts, the structure, navigation, everything in the wiki, almost all of it from the ground up. I am trying to employ various cleanup tags to help people see if a page needs updating or has been recently updated, such as the green boxes in the top right corner that might say "updated for v13".

However, I need to know what pages need updating if I am to get to them faster. Granted, I am well aware that many pages need updating, but with only so many hours in the day I can't get to everything by myself. If you have a specific page or area for me to look at, I can prioritize that to the best of my abilities.
I just needed to vent my frustration.

I find I have better luck by searching on Google and then looking for the XBMC links from there.
The search engine within the wiki seems to be problematic at best - especially for newcomers who have no clue what they are really looking for.

To answer your question (sort of) I just went back to try & find that page again but failed.
If I come across it again I will PM you with the link.

As I said, I am very appreciative of the hard work everyone on the team does, and I apologise if I gave the impression otherwise.
I am no longer active in these forums. Replying to, or commenting on, anything I have said in these forums is a waste of your time.
The search engine for the wiki is actually just using Google Site search. It's the same as typing in "site:wiki.xbmc.org something something" into Google.
Also, no worries about giving the wrong impression. If anything, I wanted you to know that you're not the only one who sometimes feels frustrated with the older pages on the wiki :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Wiki0