HP Remote
Hi,
I'm hoping this HP media center will be compatible with Rapsberry Pi / XBMC. I've had trouble with other things I've tried.

It is model OVU400102/71.

Is there any setup needed or anything else I should do/know before plugging it in?
Also, if someone else has one, what is the wee lead with a 3.5mm mono jack on one end and no idea what on the other.

Mine came with no instructions or book.

Many thanks.
It looks like an MCE remote, so it should work with the common XBMC/Linux distros for the Raspberry Pi. The jack is for an external IR sensor on a wire, either receiving or transmitting. I think it's so they can also act as IR blasters, but I don't really know the details.
Thanks Ned. Guess it's try and see! Previously I've had some functionality, but not everything like FF/Pause/ etc without the OSD navigation coming on screen - unless using the mobile app. Plus I'm told the numeric keypad allows you to enter a time to jump back or forward.
Hopefully the mouse things will work too as never had that before.

OK on the external IR. I can't see where or what it plugs in but probably don't need it.
Regards, ADKM
To follow on Ned, after connecting it there's no response from Pi for any keypress. This is the third device I've tried and none work - although the others did show some signs of life

Is there a setting that needs tweaking, or drivers I need to install etc ?

I didn't connect the IP blaster which does plug into the back of the sensor (just why or what for would be nice to know). I connected the USB lead from the sensor to the Pi and there are batteries into the remote. The red light on it shows when you press something.

Also rebooted Pi when there was no response, but that made no difference. I read somewhere this remote and xbmc do work so hopefully you or someone here can shed some light on things. Thanks.
ADKM: what setup are you running on your rpi (OpenELEC?), and what's the model # on the IR receiver itself? Probably looks like XXXX-YYYY
The HP P/N is 5187-4593 And I think I'm not running OpenELEC as I get a red R showing on boot.

This is the 3rd remote that hasn't worked and it seems unlikely they'd all be faulty. A wireless mouse & keyboard are OK, as is the remote that came with the Panasonic TV (up to a point - it won't do everything and we use the xbmc mobile app as well).

Is there a programme I can try (on the pi or Windoews PC) to test the remote ?
well, you can certainly see if it works with windows media center, or XBMC on windows. That HP receiver should work without any issues though.
Matt I haven't got Windows Media center afaik or xbmc or windows. I''ve access to both an XP and win 7 PC. Can I plug the receiver in
(without needing to install or change anything) and expect it to work. I suppose I need something for it to work on... you can't just see
some text saying what button you've pressed ? Or should it control the pointer e.g. in Explorer just like the mouse. Logic says you'd need drivers but nothing came with this at all. I'm also going to try a call to HP.

Thanks
(2014-07-17, 04:29)ADKM Wrote: Matt I haven't got Windows Media center afaik or xbmc or windows. I''ve access to both an XP and win 7 PC. Can I plug the receiver in
(without needing to install or change anything) and expect it to work. I suppose I need something for it to work on... you can't just see
some text saying what button you've pressed ? Or should it control the pointer e.g. in Explorer just like the mouse. Logic says you'd need drivers but nothing came with this at all. I'm also going to try a call to HP.

Thanks

If you have a windows PC, which you implied you did, then just download XBMC and test the remote on that. It should work out of the box. I don't have enough experience with the rpi to help you with that, I'm an OpenELEC/x86 guy.
Ok Matt thanks anyway. Unfortunately I'm not permitted to install anything on the PC but I could plug the unit in, if that would help.
I can do what I like on the Pi though. Ringing HP got nowhere - they had no idea what I was talking about !

Is there a better forum to get more info? Otherwise I'll throw the thing away and put the loss down to experience!
post up your dmesg and lsusb logs. do a fresh reboot, plug in the IR reciever, then ssh into the rpi and run:

Code:
dmesg | pastebinit
lsusb -v | pastebinit

then post the links here.
I'll need a hand to do that please Matt. I've searched the pi folders on the PC for dmesg, lsusb, and log with no hits,
By ssh into rpi and run, do I open Putty then type those 2 lines in? Does it matter what folder I'm in?
And finally post logs, links here - you mean copy into a msg or is there some way to attach them?

Apologies for asking obvious questions but I've only had the pi for a couple of months and never used linux before.
(2014-07-18, 02:58)ADKM Wrote: I'll need a hand to do that please Matt. I've searched the pi folders on the PC for dmesg, lsusb, and log with no hits,
By ssh into rpi and run, do I open Putty then type those 2 lines in? Does it matter what folder I'm in?
And finally post logs, links here - you mean copy into a msg or is there some way to attach them?

Apologies for asking obvious questions but I've only had the pi for a couple of months and never used linux before.

dmesg and lsusb are standard linux commands, you don't need to bother searching for them.

yes, you need to open Putty and connect via ssh to the rpi. You can validate the presence of those commands by typing 'which <name of command>' - so:
Code:
which dmesg
which lsusb
which pastebinit

after each which statement, it will print out the location of the file (eg, /bin/dmesg ). If nothing prints out, the command isn't able to be located on the system. dmesg and lsusb will be found for certain, pastebinit may not, and will make it a bit more difficult to get those logs off the system. pastebinit will auto upload the log to pastebin.com and give you a URL that you can post here for me to see.
Hi Matt, Things are looking upSmile All 3 "which" commands give results and the url is presented when I issue the command you advised.
(The url for lsusb is http://paste.debian.net/110369/)

BUT I haven't rebooted yet as the pi is in use right now. I'll have both links in about 2 hours.
Also the HP remote isn't plugged in but will be. With it connected the Panasonic TV remote can stop working or get sluggish.
Matt, did you get my last msg with the url's after applying the commands you gave.

It was here as I read it twice while checking for replies. Now it's vanished!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Remote0