given up on htpc
I'm not so sure.

I think it's easy to be holier than thou, and something I am guilty of myself.

The video and sound options are a minefield, hiding the majority of the settings away has in my eyes made it harder to use. A lot of questions are asked by people who don't know where the settings are.

Take the audio settings, you can have 4 options when two of these are basically renamed to default, so straight away this leads to confusion.

The video side is never really explained either, there are plenty of Wikis, a lot of these are outdated, and only tell you what they are rather than what they can do. I tried to find out what were the best pixel shaders to use, and still don't really know. all the options are there, but you try and find a guide.

A standalone player, takes the majority of this away for you, truth be told I only gave up on them as the eye candy was just to hard to use, or not forthcoming, where as XBMC has so many skins and options, its great.

So I can certainly understand frustrations with it, on one hand a standalone is plug and play for the majority but usually dull and customisation is limited, or you have XBMC, which can be really hard work to get where you want it, for it to start playing up, and you have so many options you have tweaked, its hard to know where to start.
i think xbmc is brilliant,i use a only a medium level pc(fx350,4gig,win7/64,hd7970)and if the source is hd i get hd which on my 42" sony monitor is beautiful.

i have niggles but theyll get fixed i spect,my main use is watching content etc and thats what it does,,aand its free,so whats the beef?.

the problems you have are all of your own making most likely,

instead of continually fixing an existing install just uninstall everything,clean the area and then reinstall.not like its hard to setup first go.certainly the best way to get better at it all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
given up on htpc0