Xbox 360 white and black remote for intel dn2820
Hi all
Just ordered the above remotes to try control my nuc running openelec only.

Can anyone advise me what I need to do to get the remotes to work?
I've got ps3 remote but the battery issue is proving to be a pain in the backside so I want to try the ir remotes
Thanks in advance
(I'm not too clued up on programming remotes but would give it a go if anyone could be kind enough to help)
Thanks
If the white remote doesn't work out of the box, FishOil wrote a bash script to automate the process of setting up this remote under linux. The thread is http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51581 and the script is in the crunchbang link in the first post.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-07-16, 11:42)black_eagle Wrote: If the white remote doesn't work out of the box, FishOil wrote a bash script to automate the process of setting up this remote under linux. The thread is http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51581 and the script is in the crunchbang link in the first post.

Thanks for the reply. Wow now that looks complicated. Is it a case I just copy and paste that somewhere? I've got an application to ssh into my nuc .
That's about as much as I know ?
Yeah you need to SSH into the NUC. By default I think OpenElec sessions are run as the root user. This is fine. You need to open the text editor in the SSH session with the command nano <enter>

Copy the entire script that FishOil posted, and paste it into the nano window. Press <control> + o (oh) and nano will prompt you for a filename to save to. Call it something like 360remote.sh and hit enter. Now exit nano by pressing <control> + x

Now we have to make the script executable by typing chmod +x 360remote.sh

Now that the script is runnable, you can execute it by typing ./360remote.sh

Script will prompt you for any input it needs and display details of what it's doing. When it finishes, reboot the NUC and the remote should be fully working.
(2014-07-16, 13:01)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah you need to SSH into the NUC. By default I think OpenElec sessions are run as the root user. This is fine. You need to open the text editor in the SSH session with the command nano <enter>

Copy the entire script that FishOil posted, and paste it into the nano window. Press <control> + o (oh) and nano will prompt you for a filename to save to. Call it something like 360remote.sh and hit enter. Now exit nano by pressing <control> + x

Now we have to make the script executable by typing chmod +x 360remote.sh

Now that the script is runnable, you can execute it by typing ./360remote.sh

Script will prompt you for any input it needs and display details of what it's doing. When it finishes, reboot the NUC and the remote should be fully working.

Thanks for helping me on this. Will give that a go when remotes arrives. One question on pressing control o what is (oh) ?
Thanks again , appreciate your time and help
Lol, I just put that in in case you thought it was a zero, and not a lower case letter o. It's difficult sometimes to aim an answer at someone without having any clue as to their skill level at a particular thing, so I tend to try to explain stuff as simply as possible and was just trying to clarify what I'd written.

Apologies if it confused you. Blush
Haha no I really appreciate your help. On a scale of 1/10 on subjects like this I'm about a 1!!!

Can I ask will this remote mapping work for the black xbox 360 remote too?
Thanks
Yes, I believe so (according to the thread anyway). I have the white one controlling my HTPC in the bedroom for two reasons. Firstly, I already had one, and secondly because it's backlit, which is handy at night. It can be fairly heavy on batteries though because of this.

The main HTPC downstairs is controlled by my AVR remote, which I programmed myself, but I must admit I used FishOil's script to set up the one upstairs as it was much more convenient than working it all out from scratch Smile
Ahhhh crap the battery issue is why I'm
Changing from my ps3 remote. I didn't realise if I'm honest that they are backlit. How long would you say they last?
I was getting just over a week with ps3 remote because of the bluetooth.
Not sure if the black one is backlit, but the white one is - kind of a greeny colour. Typical usage scenario is that the remote will be used for navigating the TV Shows library probably 2-3 times depending on length of show and then movie library probably once. Volume adjustments as it gets later. It also frequently gets used during the day for the wife to watch TV whilst getting changed/doing makeup/hiding from me etc. So it gets a lot of use and batteries last around 10 weeks. But then, alkaline batteries are only £1.99 for eight so that's 40 weeks worth. The AVR remote, in spite of it having an LCD display, is much lighter on power, even though it gets used waaay more. Batteries in that will easily do a year, but then neither the buttons or the LCD is backlit.
Good news, both remotes work without me having to amend anything . Not sure which one I prefer yet though as then black one is smaller and nicer in the hand , but doesn't have a stop button .

Thanks for your help again though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox 360 white and black remote for intel dn28200