Slow Library Scan (SQL) Poss NFS problem
Hi all,

Got a very slow library scan going on....

I have 3 pis set up, with an SQL database, with films and tv on a synology nas. XBMC is accessing these over NFS shares. Looking at the log, i get the feeling its something to do with NFS, but thats as far as i can get.

Log is here ...

http://pastebin.com/Q6EWw0Qt

Would be very greatful of any help.

Many many thanks
You're getting NFS errors, check you've set up the NFS share correctly on the Synology. Post your /etc/export file if you're not sure. Read the wiki on configuring NFS (wiki).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Ahh ok thanks. Just going through the setup on the nas. It mentions mounting the folders on the nfs client. Do I need to do that manually on the pi, or will xbmc do this for me? I can access the folder from xbmc already, it's just the scan is slow. Ta
(2014-07-16, 23:27)MisterMoleyMole Wrote: Do I need to do that manually on the pi, or will xbmc do this for me?

XBMC will do it for you.

Using path substitution isn't going to help performance either and I'd advise you to stop using that - it's not required by MySQL.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Really.... I've path substituted things that aren't handled by mysql though. It's the addon data folder and favourites etc... I want all 3 pi's to be the same. . Is there a better way to do this?
(2014-07-16, 23:27)MisterMoleyMole Wrote: it's just the scan is slow

You're extracting thumbnails which is slowing down the scan (ignoring the fact the media file can't be accessed to extract the thumbnail due to NFS errors), disable that and use local artwork. Use a media manager to organise your artwork.
(2014-07-16, 23:58)MisterMoleyMole Wrote: Really.... I've path substituted things that aren't handled by mysql though. It's the addon data folder and favourites etc... I want all 3 pi's to be the same. . Is there a better way to do this?

Anytime you move local data to the network it's going to be slower. What you've done should be OK though, but if you're looking for optimal performance it's not the way to go. Just don't share your thumbnails using path substitution, for gods sake...
Hi, thanks for trying to help me with this....

Where in the log are the NFS errors you are seeing? I thought had cured them maybe but i think i was looking at the wrong things. I've made a change on my NAS. This is my export file now...

Also, how do i disable the extracting of thumbnails?

Cheers
(2014-07-17, 01:08)MisterMoleyMole Wrote: Where in the log are the NFS errors you are seeing? I thought had cured them maybe but i think i was looking at the wrong things. I've made a change on my NAS. This is my export file now...

Search your log for "NFS3ERR". Actually most (if not all) of the NFS errors seem to be related to your attempt at path substitution which is failing for some reason. It could just be missing files (settings.xml) for some of your addons.

I do see errors when XBMC attempts to extract the thumb from RoboCop.wmv, but it may just be an error with this particular file format rather than an inability to access the file.

(2014-07-17, 01:08)MisterMoleyMole Wrote: Also, how do i disable the extracting of thumbnails?

System -> Settings -> Video -> File lists -> Extract thumbnails and video information
Many many thanks... Will look into these.
any ideas on this error....

INFO: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file : 'volume2/xbmc/userdata/addon_data/metadata.themoviedb.org/settings.xml' error : 'open call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //userdata failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"'

Not sure why its trying to open that, it doesn't actually exist. I cant uninstall the movie database addon either to try and force it to create it.

is it a problem?
Might be nothing. Have you tried accessing the settings page of the addon and clicking OK to see if it creates the missing settings.xml file?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow Library Scan (SQL) Poss NFS problem0