New Buntu user cant set content
Hello ive recently transferred from using xbmc on windows 8 to XBMCbuntu (hardly any experience with linux but learning)

When i set the content of my movies folder (EXT USB drive identfied as media/Media/movies in the file manager) like i would on XBMC windows all goes well media is found information and art is added ect.

But as soon as i reboot and go back into XBMC all my movies say file no longer available would you like to remove. I thought that maybe the USB disk wasnt mounted, but if i used the files manager on XBMC i could play the media fine so the usb drive was mounted and working.

When i clean the library a popup comes up that says /media/Media/movies can no longer be found would you like to remove all content.

So far all i have tried to rectify this is to remove XBMC and the hidden xbmc folder in the home directory and reinstall it but i had the same issue. Ill list the commands that i used in xterm below hopefully they are right.
sudo apt-get purge xbmc
sudo apt-get install xbmc

I dual boot with windows because i use media companion to organize my media im not sure if that creates an issue.

If some one could help me id be very appreciative because due to my lack of understanding with linux im out of ideas and i dont want to go back to running on windows because the performance is so so much bettter on XBMCbuntu (other then this hopefully minor issue Tongue)

Thanks
Nobody :-(
You need to set a static Mount point for your USB drive. This can be achieved with a udev rule

http://serverfault.com/questions/217663/...-usb-stick
Will try that thankyou...that wont affect using windows at all?
Any chance you could check this for me i just really dont want to stuff up 12tb of media.

IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="MEDIA", GOTO="media_end"
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -m 0 -p /home/MEDIA", RUN+="/bin/mount -o noatime,umask=077,fmask=177,utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,sync /dev/%k /home/MEDIA"
ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /dev/%k", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /home/MEDIA"
LABEL="kaystick_end"

Also how do i make the /lib/udev/rules.d/99-media.rules do i just use gedit?
Just being curious...you have a 12TB USB Drive?

Or do you have many external USB-HDDs and are you switching them?

I don´t know for sure, ´cause I don´t use XBMCbuntu since a a long time. But iirc you don´t have gedit in XBMCbuntu but "nano" should be available. So you can do

Code:
sudo nano 'what/ever/file/you-want-to.create'

Greetings
Sorry its more of a HDD enclosure in a RAID 0 array.

I have gedit installed it while following a guide on something else Smile

After creating the file above with that content the drive is now /media/<username>/Media does that mean i did it right?

I thought the drive would show in the home directory after doing the above.
I think you need to change the last line from kaystick_end to media_end. Also put udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/

EDIT: your home directory would be /home/USERNAME/
yep i changed that line in the actual file just didnt on here.

it seems to have done the trick after a few reboots files are still there and working didnt even have to reset the content and reload the library in XBMC. the directory in XBMC is now /media/<username>/Media. does that sound right?

Thankyou so much was about to give up and go back to horrible performance on windows Big Grin
Well based on the rule above it should be in /home/MEDIA, does that direvtory exist?
That is the content of the 98-media.rules file i made in /lib/udev/rules.d
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"
ENIV{D_FS_LABEL}!="MEDIA", GOTO="media_end"
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -m 0 -p /home/troy/MEDIA", RUN+="/bin/mount -o noatime,umask=077,fmask=177,utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,sync /dev/%k /home/troy/MEDIA"
ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /dev/%k", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /home/troy/MEDIA"
LABEL="media_end"

But the directory doesnt seem to exist? what am i doing wrong?
Not sure exactly, try running the RUN+ commands from the first ACTION line (dont forget to substitute the variables, eg %k). Also the mount command could probably be shortened to
/bin/mount -o noatime /dev/%k /home/troy/MEDIA
it seems to be working ok atm i might just leave it as is and if i run into problems in the future ill try what you have said.

Thankyou

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Buntu user cant set content0