SDHC Card vs USB3.0
Thanks for the tips. I have ordered the NOOBS card for £5 to see if that helps and will check out the over clocking. The PSU is a good one. (i think) Belkin one that outputs 2.1A used to charge IPAD's.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

the textures thing looks way too complex for me.
(2014-07-23, 13:58)Mark142 Wrote: looks way too complex for me.

It's not bad. ssh in and run:
Code:
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py/master/texturecache.py -o texturecache.py
chmod +x ./texturecache.py
./texturecache.py tvshows
(wait a while for this to complete)
./texturecache.py movies
Now you'll find library browsing is much faster as all the images are in the thumbnail cache.
(2014-07-23, 14:07)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 13:58)Mark142 Wrote: looks way too complex for me.

It's not bad. ssh in and run:
Code:
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py/master/texturecache.py -o texturecache.py
chmod +x ./texturecache.py
./texturecache.py tvshows
./texturecache.py movies
Now you'll find library browsing is much faster as all the images are in the thumbnail cache.

That I could try, I have Putty on my windows machine and assume I use that? Do I need to run this before adding movies to library or once the library is scanned?
Thanks
When overclocking, in order to hit a stable 1000/500/600 overclock, in addition to increasing over_voltage=6 I also needed to increase over_voltage_sdram=4.

One minor correction on the texturecache.py instructions:
Code:
./texturecache.py c tvshows
./texturecache.py c movies
Smile

(2014-07-23, 14:09)Mark142 Wrote: That I could try, I have Putty on my windows machine and assume I use that?

Yes.

(2014-07-23, 14:09)Mark142 Wrote: Do I need to run this before adding movies to library or once the library is scanned?

Run it after you have scanned your library. Although to be honest if you're scanning the library on the Pi and using local SQLite databases (the default, as opposed to MySQL) there may not be much artwork that remains uncached. Still worth running though, if only to confirm that everything is cached as it should be.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-07-23, 10:24)ThaMadHatter Wrote: The NUC looks cool but a 65w power supply, I might aswell just run a laptop next to my tv. The whole reason I got the Pi was because of the low power consumption it has vs the desktop connected to my TV aswell, that, and automation ofcourse.

65W? thats incorrect, NUC takes 7.5W
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-DN2820FYKH...B00I60Z8Q2
£92.98

Also can be woken from shutdown to wake with a remote in under 13 seconds. Assuming you use the NUC for 10 hours per 24 hour day. then that is equivalent of it running it 3.125W (10/24*7.5) compared to Raspberry Pi that will be running 24/7. So in theory it will cost roughly the same or cheaper for the NUC compared to Pi, (since everyone works and might not use it for 10 hours per day).

You can possibly get £40-£50 for your Pi on ebay and then spend another £50 and get a NUC then getting a Banana Pi....

same here Milhouse I had to give over_voltage sdram 4 in order to run @600 and all is fine. Infact Milhouse with overvoltage sdram at 4 I was able to get 650 out of the ram. and its stable for my use, It all depends on what you want to use it for, certain addons it crashes but not the addons that I use
When I use this over_voltage_sdram=4, my system will freeze
(2014-07-23, 06:03)Milhouse Wrote: It's not just about the speed of the USB2 interface. The Flash (NAND) memory in a USB3 storage device is likely to have better performance characteristics (faster reads, faster writes, faster NAND controller) than a USB2 storage device designed to operate at 1/10th the IO speed, so even when used in a USB2 port the USB3 storage should perform that little bit better than a similar USB2 device.

The Pi has a tendency to "busy wait" on IO writes so anything that can minimise write times is likely to be beneficial.

Thank You
(2014-07-23, 15:01)MediaPi Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 10:24)ThaMadHatter Wrote: The NUC looks cool but a 65w power supply, I might aswell just run a laptop next to my tv. The whole reason I got the Pi was because of the low power consumption it has vs the desktop connected to my TV aswell, that, and automation ofcourse.

65W? thats incorrect, NUC takes 7.5W
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-DN2820FYKH...B00I60Z8Q2
£92.98

Also can be woken from shutdown to wake with a remote in under 13 seconds. Assuming you use the NUC for 10 hours per 24 hour day. then that is equivalent of it running it 3.125W (10/24*7.5) compared to Raspberry Pi that will be running 24/7. So in theory it will cost roughly the same or cheaper for the NUC compared to Pi, (since everyone works and might not use it for 10 hours per day).

You can possibly get £40-£50 for your Pi on ebay and then spend another £50 and get a NUC then getting a Banana Pi....

same here Milhouse I had to give over_voltage sdram 4 in order to run @600 and all is fine. Infact Milhouse with overvoltage sdram at 4 I was able to get 650 out of the ram. and its stable for my use, It all depends on what you want to use it for, certain addons it crashes but not the addons that I use

Hmmm must have had the wrong NUC, was checking the intel website I think lol.
Seems fairly expensive (for me) though for the crappy reviews it gets Tongue
Then again, I wouldn't run a real GUI OS like windows, I assume it supports linux so it could just boot XBMC and run the rest on the background.

NUC would be on 24/7 btw, HDD might wind down every now and then but that's pretty much it. Wouldn't sell my Pi though, might bridge it with arduino and/or build something with it, maybe a firewall or home automation, whatever lol..
@ ThaMadHatter, crappy reviews? I've not heard one incy wincy bad thing about the NUC, its praised alot!! If you want to run windows also and want it even cheaper have a look at this

MSI J1900I
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131243808191
£44.58

Powercool Q5 Mini-ITX 120w Chassis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-Q5-Min...B008XI7FB8
£40.99

TOTAL (replacement) = £85.57

quad core, check the benchmark for J1900, a beast for 10W TDP that combo is basically a NUC since its a board and case AND ITS CHEAPER!! you'll need to add wifi (but why, attach a cable) I'm sure that can run windows no problem

Heres my thread that compares
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200229

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SDHC Card vs USB3.00