Upgrading from FroDo to Gotham - MYSQL Issues
(2014-07-22, 08:58)black_eagle Wrote: As long as you have a copy of MyVideos75 and a working Frodo your library is intact. In fact, if you have exported it like nsviper, all the library info is alongside the movies, waiting to be re-scraped back in.

As to the error you now get, I'd be checking any windows updates and rolling them back.

I was not able to export my library. All of my Frodo clients are crashing upon launch, Windows & OSX. I believe it's DB related, just not sure how to tell for sure.
debug log (wiki) Wink
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-07-22, 14:52)black_eagle Wrote: debug log (wiki) Wink

I can't actually launch the client to get access to the Debug Log. It crashes upon launch, all Frodo clients.
OK, if you think it's DB related, on one of the clients, remove the advancedsettings.xml (just rename it to something else) from the userdata folder and then see if that client can start up.
(2014-07-22, 15:07)black_eagle Wrote: OK, if you think it's DB related, on one of the clients, remove the advancedsettings.xml (just rename it to something else) from the userdata folder and then see if that client can start up.

Great idea! I'll try that when I get home. Thanks!

But then a Debug log won't show the true nature of the error, would it?
It all depends on what it shows and where. I'd be surprised if it was a db error, as xbmc does a lot of initialization before it gets to looking for databases, so I think generally, I would expect to see some sort of log file output but then anything is possible!!

No client access at all would tend to point to a db issue, but if it were permissions or access issues, I'd expect XBMC to just hang on the loading screen, rather than crash out. I think this behaviour may have changed slightly with gotham, but definitely with Frodo, a missing MySQL library would hang it indefinitely. Debug log should show this however.
(2014-07-22, 15:32)black_eagle Wrote: It all depends on what it shows and where. I'd be surprised if it was a db error, as xbmc does a lot of initialization before it gets to looking for databases, so I think generally, I would expect to see some sort of log file output but then anything is possible!!

No client access at all would tend to point to a db issue, but if it were permissions or access issues, I'd expect XBMC to just hang on the loading screen, rather than crash out. I think this behaviour may have changed slightly with gotham, but definitely with Frodo, a missing MySQL library would hang it indefinitely. Debug log should show this however.

Here's my log file from the Windows 7 client: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=252670

And the .old: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=252672
Crash: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=252673

I rebooted my NAS/MySQL box and XBMC was able to launch on the Windows and OSX clients but the library was all messed up. TV Shows and Movies menus no longer appeared in the main XBMC screen and all the content was missing the episode/movie information, images, watched status, episode names, etc.

I really hope I'm not doomed.
You have a permissions issue with xbmc connecting to the MySQL server. Your advancedsettings.xml appears to specify a user with username USER and the password PASSWORD. However, XBMC is trying to connect with the username xbmc

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>192.168.1.33</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>USER</user>
  <pass>PASSWORD</pass>
  </videodatabase>
Code:
18:06:03 T:972   ERROR: Unable to open database: MyVideos75 [1045](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'Opti960' (using password: YES))

That access denied line is coming from the MySQL server which is saying one of three things. Either the username is wrong, the password is wrong, or logins are not allowed from Opti960. Check and re-check your mysql permissions.

And no, as long as you exported your original library first, then you are not doomed because all the info is sat alongside your movies/shows, waiting to be re-imported.

Before you can do this though, you have to get the permissions right so that xbmc can connect to mysql and create the new databases.
(2014-07-24, 10:02)black_eagle Wrote: You have a permissions issue with xbmc connecting to the MySQL server. Your advancedsettings.xml appears to specify a user with username USER and the password PASSWORD. However, XBMC is trying to connect with the username xbmc

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>USER</user>
  <pass>PASSWORD</pass>
  </videodatabase>
Code:
18:06:03 T:972   ERROR: Unable to open database: MyVideos75 [1045](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'Opti960' (using password: YES))

That access denied line is coming from the MySQL server which is saying one of three things. Either the username is wrong, the password is wrong, or logins are not allowed from Opti960. Check and re-check your mysql permissions.

And no, as long as you exported your original library first, then you are not doomed because all the info is sat alongside your movies/shows, waiting to be re-imported.

Before you can do this though, you have to get the permissions right so that xbmc can connect to mysql and create the new databases.

I just checked the advancedsettings.xml on the Opti960 box and it reads as follow:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

The username and password are specified there.

I was not able to export my library as all these issues started popping up on my Frodo clients before I could. I don't know what could be happening to my DB since everything was working for the better part of a year before this Gotham debacle started. I'm far from a SQL expert but i'll do some poking around later today to see if I notice anything odd.
(2014-07-24, 10:02)black_eagle Wrote: You have a permissions issue with xbmc connecting to the MySQL server. Your advancedsettings.xml appears to specify a user with username USER and the password PASSWORD. However, XBMC is trying to connect with the username xbmc

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>USER</user>
  <pass>PASSWORD</pass>
  </videodatabase>
Code:

Did some more digging today and it turns out that the debug log masks the username/password with USER & PASSWORD.

I ended up blowing away MySQL and renaming the DB's after chmod'ing them to 777 so I could manually do it via SMB. I then upgraded all clients to Gotham (except for my Win7 client...will do it tomorrow) and rescraped all the library data. I will have to manually mark items as watched but that shouldn't take me a long time. It looks like everything is working again now. I just have to remember to disable Auto-Updates on my RPi so this doesn't happen again in the future.

Thanks again for all of your help and to everyone else who chimed in. I truly appreciate your efforts.
Glad its working for you now.

Suggestion - Export your library to separate files now. In the event of an issue, its waaaay quicker to scrape local data back in Wink
(2014-07-25, 10:25)black_eagle Wrote: Glad its working for you now.

Suggestion - Export your library to separate files now. In the event of an issue, its waaaay quicker to scrape local data back in Wink

Once I manually adjust my watched status on my TV Shows/Movies I'll definitely be exporting it on a regular basis. I'll also look to see if there is an add-on that will automatically export it on a schedule for me.
There is this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129499 or this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129448

Don't think you need to export all of it regularly. Most of the info won't change apart from the watched status, although obviously you'd want to export any new stuff.

Perhaps it might be worth looking at a third party media manager such as MediaElch or Ember, which will auto-create all the necessary files alongside your tv-shows/movies. This is how I manage my stuff. It gives me more control over the info XBMC will be displaying, and in the event of MySQL stuffing up, a re-scrape is fast.
(2014-07-25, 14:13)black_eagle Wrote: There is this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129499 or this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129448

Don't think you need to export all of it regularly. Most of the info won't change apart from the watched status, although obviously you'd want to export any new stuff.

Perhaps it might be worth looking at a third party media manager such as MediaElch or Ember, which will auto-create all the necessary files alongside your tv-shows/movies. This is how I manage my stuff. It gives me more control over the info XBMC will be displaying, and in the event of MySQL stuffing up, a re-scrape is fast.

Looks like I've hit a new problem which is causing all clients to lose their data : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200696

Any insight you can provide is appreciated.
Yeah, the log you posted over there is showing a lot of 'table does not exist' errors which in basic terms means xbmc is expecting to find data in the db, but that data is missing for some reason.

Now, you said that initially, everything was working properly, but that after several hours, stuff 'disappeared'. In my experience, stuff doesn't just disappear, it goes for a reason. The fact that complete tables are missing is a bit worrying. I'd have thought that they were maybe not created in the first place, but seeing as you said it was OK to start with, I'd rule that option out.

Is it possible someone has dropped the tables via MySQL maintenance ? Is it possible your HDD is corrupted/failing ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from FroDo to Gotham - MYSQL Issues0