Proper Italics in subtitles
Hey,

I was wondering if it was possible in XBMC to use proper italics in subtitles rather than slanted text when using <i> tags in .srt files.

I have placed Regular, Bold, Italic, and Bold-Italic versions of Franklin Gothic in ~/.xbmc/media/fonts and selected that as the subtitle font, but XBMC seems to want to simply slant the normal font than display the proper italic version, which looks much nicer.

At the very least, it would be nice if XBMC would use the angle the font specifies rather than its own slant angle which is generally way more slanted than what the font is supposed to be viewed as.

See this album. The first image is how XBMC displays subtitles, the second is proper italics, and the third is slanted text with the proper angle. The second and third choices look much better and are much more readable than the first.
And failing that, is there any way to change how much XBMC slants the text?
I found these interesting lines in etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf and ../conf.avail/90-synthetic.conf:

Code:
<!-- multiply the matrix to slant the font -->
        <edit name="matrix" mode="assign">
            <times>
                <name>matrix</name>
                <matrix><double>1</double><double>0.2</double>
                    <double>0</double><double>1</double>
                </matrix>
            </times>
        </edit>

I also used grep to find similar lines in the same directories in /usr/local/share/xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/etc/fonts and changed all of those values to

Code:
<matrix><double>1</double><double>0.1</double>
    <double>0</double><double>1</double>
</matrix>

However, the code just seems to change back to 0.2 once I restart XBMC. Would setting this to 0.1 to get an angle of 6° instead of 12° work?
This is a feature (proper italics in subtitles) that I VERY much would like to see added to a future version of Kodi. I'm not sure if there is a better place to post this request, but at the very least I am going to subscribe to this thread in hopes that someone will address this issue in the future.

THANKS!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper Italics in subtitles0