Android XBMC EPG very slow to load on FireTV, any ideas would be appreciated
I have gotten the EPG on my Fire TV down to an acceptable speed by going into WMC and editing out the hundreds of channels that we either didn't have access to or didn't use. There is still a little delay, but not bad at all.
(2014-10-25, 17:51)mhulvey Wrote: I have gotten the EPG on my Fire TV down to an acceptable speed by going into WMC and editing out the hundreds of channels that we either didn't have access to or didn't use. There is still a little delay, but not bad at all.
I've only got about 25 channels in my EPG from MythTV and I have about a 4-5 second delay which I consider pretty slow.
any update here?
Still slow as ever for me. Running Kodi 14.2 stable resulted in no change.
See my post #29:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1820738

Nothing happened with my "request" so far, see this:
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15503#no1

Wim
Hi kenelbow, good idea to comment on trac.

I think this issue is not getting a lot of attention from the developers. Unfortunately, because it's a bigger problem than you think:
When you start Kodi, you have to wait till the epg loading is completely finished otherwise kodi can have freezes and hangs (at least on my installation). So on every start of kodi you (I) have to wait a long time......
(2015-06-18, 15:32)WimKl Wrote: Hi kenelbow, good idea to comment on trac.

I think this issue is not getting a lot of attention from the developers. Unfortunately, because it's a bigger problem than you think:
When you start Kodi, you have to wait till the epg loading is completely finished otherwise kodi can have freezes and hangs (at least on my installation). So on every start of kodi you (I) have to wait a long time......
Yeah I figured it couldn't hurt. For me the Kodi load time isn't the issue since I have it running pretty much all the time. The fact that Kodi pretty much freezes for several seconds until the EPG is displayed is what I consider to be the bug. If it can't be solved, something as simple as a spinning circle or progress bar would be a good indicator that the EPG is being loaded.
I had an 'extremely slow' issue with the PVR recordings list on RPi using a mythtv backend not so long ago.
(http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210774)
This turned out to be kodi opening and closing the recordings database for each recording entry while it checked to see if had been 'watched' or not. Making kodi open the database once at the start, check all recordings, then close it again improved things substantially.

With regard to current EPG performance:
  • Running OE5.0.8 (Kodi 14.2) on an RPi (original single core standard, overclocked with arm_freq=850, core_freq=375) my EPG (with 61 channels and the default 3 days) takes about 5 seconds to open for the first time. The second and subsequent times it takes about 1 second.
  • Without the overclock on the RPi (defaults of arm_freq=700, core_freq=250) loading the EPG takes a similar 5 seconds to load 1st time and subsequent times it takes about 1 second.
  • Running OE5.0.8 on an RPi2 (faster quad core version) the same EPG takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds to load first time.
  • Back on the overclocked RPi (single core version), setting "Days to display in the EPG" to 1 days (Settings->Live TV->EPG) reduced initial EPG display time to about 1.5 seconds (subsequent display stayed at about 1 second)

Personally I can live with a 5 second EPG load (1st time only) as I don't use the EPG that much and I now expect the wait, but I can see how it could be a pain, particularly if your Kodi box boots up with your TV and you use kodi's EPG a lot.

A similar approach adding debug comments to the code saying how long kodi spends in each function might show up a 'long pole' which could be optimized, but as loading the EPG, formatting the display and presenting it seems a pretty complex task, I doubt there would be any 'quick wins' like there were for the recordings screen. (Although if you have a go, find one, and fix it, I'm sure you will be popular!)

In the meantime if this delay upsets you, my suggestion for lower powered kodi boxes (if you can live with only one day's worth of EPG) is to reduce "Days to display in the EPG" to 1 and overclock for a bit of extra UI speed across the board if you are able.

If you are seeing times longer than 5 seconds to load the EPG, maybe there is a problem affecting your specific hardware or backend configuration which the users and kodi developers on this forum might help you troubleshoot. Pastebin a log file and see what turns up.

What EPG load times (initial and subsequent) are people seeing for example on firetv and other lower powered boxes?
Also seeing very slow importing EPG from clients. I'm talking about hours for a large channel set. Running Kodi 16 alpha 4.
Please post a debug log if it literally takes hours.
Hi. A happy new year to one and all. I know this is an old thread but wasn't sure if I should tail on to the back of this or create a new one.
Basically I'm having similar issues. My Ivue EPG is talking over 5 minutes to load. Tried it on the laptop and tablet and its as slow on both. Someone did suggest limiting the amount of days but I can't seem to find anywhere to limit it to a day or two. I have am only listing around 2 dozen channels on the EPG and it takes so long its almost unusable.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I can only tell you my experience: on windows laptop very fast loading with numerous channels, on android very slow but not 5 minutes.
So I think you've got another problem, don't know what. Sorry.
Ivue is completely unrelated to this, it's a separate addon with it's own guide.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC EPG very slow to load on FireTV, any ideas would be appreciated0