Linux Upgrade to Xbmcbuntu, userdata settings lost!
Sad 
I've been running Ubuntu 10.10 and Xbmc Eden for years, and recently realised my version of Linux has reached 'end of life' status. Because id have to incrementally upgrade Linux before upgrading to Xbmc 'Gotham' I decided to proceed with a new install of XBMCbuntu.

I've been putting this off because my TV and Movie libraries are very big - just over 6TB in total and live on 2x QNAP TS209II servers with 4x 2TB discs.

Before I started I used WinSCP to copy my 'userdata' folder from the ZotacION box to my computer.

I also moved my etc/asound.conf file over too - as this has special audio channel re-mappings so my surround speakers aren't mapped incorrectly.

I have just installed XBMCbuntu using a usb drive. It booted ok and i updated to 13.1 as advised on the download page.

I then copied my 'userdata' folder back over...

Although it remembers the name of my shares and i can browse them in 'Files' it doesn't remember the content or any of the artwork. As a result its also lost my watched/unwatched flags.

Bit of a disaster!

Am i going to have to re-scan my whole library and set all my watched flags manually?

Whats the point of advising we backup our userdata folder when it doesn't keep any library data that can be used after a restore?
A DB upgrade from Eden directly to Gotham(skipping Frodo) might just not work, too much has changed.
Any advancements?

I'm currently doing the exact same upgrade and had the EXACT same result. I literally performed the same steps that you have...

Decided to delete the thumbnails folder and thumbnails db and allowed XBMC to rescan and that's still missing all my posters/thumbnails/fanart. Movies/TV shows all play fine though..

I guess the other option is to do an install of Frodo from scratch, copy over the database and have that upgraded then do a new install of gotham again and let it upgrade the db from that.

Has the thumbnails folder/db changed between Eden / Frodo / Gotham?
Between Eden and Gotham literally everything has changed and there is no direct DB upgrade from Eden to Gotham. Best advice is to start with a fresh profile, cause even addons are for sure not compatible anymore, same for guisettings.xml and many more.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-06, 08:38)Phorte Wrote: Any advancements?

I'm currently doing the exact same upgrade and had the EXACT same result. I literally performed the same steps that you have...

Decided to delete the thumbnails folder and thumbnails db and allowed XBMC to rescan and that's still missing all my posters/thumbnails/fanart. Movies/TV shows all play fine though..

I guess the other option is to do an install of Frodo from scratch, copy over the database and have that upgraded then do a new install of gotham again and let it upgrade the db from that.

Has the thumbnails folder/db changed between Eden / Frodo / Gotham?

Hello!

I updated my system last week and you should think about following procedure to get a near same config after a fresh install:

Before you begin, you should save something from your old installation:

Backup your system and configuration data (with winscp):
/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata -> guisettings.xml, passwords.xml, profiles.xml, sources.xml
/etc/lirc -> hardware.conf, lircd.conf
/usr/share/xbmc/system -> Lircmap.xml

You should also backup your system to save it for restore if you have forgotten anything
# dd if=/dev/sda bs=4k /of=/dev/sdb (save complete system on a usb stick -> find out what mount point your usb stick use you can find it out with "mount" in the command line)

# with the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc" you can find out what config you use in lirc
in XBMC you sould export the library -> Wiki HOW-To: Backup library
the posters/thumbnails/fanart will be copied to each folder (for videos and also for the series) and you should be loose nothing

Install new version and restore configs:
After installation you should update the system to aktual release -> Wiki HOW-TO: How do I upgrade XBMC
# configure the lirc with the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc" and configure the lirc what like in your old environment
# restore your saved files in the same locations
# restart the XBMC and go in your video and series sections and configure your scraper in each folder and let him searching. He should find the nfo and jpg files and should recreate your databases...

After that you should be nearly the same video and series databases like before....

BUT: please don´t forget to save your old installation, so if you have loose any data you can roll back to the old version!

Hope it helps...

/Greg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade to Xbmcbuntu, userdata settings lost!0