Thinking about upgrading my DVDs
I was thinking about upgrading all my dvds to bluray little by little. I only have 400. little over 100 of them can't be upgraded as they are not available on bluray. I love bluray quality. It looks so much better than DVD. Only problem is most the movies I bought I got cheap and don't care about all of them. I only care about maybe 80 movies out of the collection that I think deserve an upgrade.

So should I upgrade them all or just do my favorites?
I tend to buy only my favourites on blu-ray, and those movies which really deserve it. Unless you have loads of money, why waste it on discs you may never even watch?

Having said that, used blu-rays are coming down in price - I find used discs are usually good value and I've never had one in bad condition. I just looked, and you can buy the Lord of the Rings trilogy used on blu ray for £8 (amazon uk). A steal.
Just the favourites, and new purchases.
I bought my favorites slowly and when sales pop up I buy old ones I have.

eBay can be a good source for cheap blu's
EBay may not be that good of choice, either for price or legitimacy. You can often find deals at reputable stores, it will just take a while.
If you don't care about some of the movies you have, why do you still have them at all (much less upgrading to BluRay)?
I've done the same over the last few years.

Anything I had that was FX heavy has been gradually replaced with a BR edition, same as old favourites like Goonies, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Predator. I still buy DVD movies but it entirely depends on the content of the film. Again, FX heavy (including animations like Toy Story) are all bought on BR these days. Anything that's not so FX heavy is still purchased on DVD as I don't think you get much extra...pointing to older films, things like What Women Want, Sliding Doors, Wedding Crashers, 40 Year Old Virgin and so on are perfectly acceptable on DVD (my opinion). I'd never buy a film like that on BR and would stick to DVD...until BR is cheaper or the only option (or DRM free downloads at a respectable price become an option).

The last two DVD movies I bought before I got a BR player were King Kong and Sky Captain. Both FX heavy, and clearly I gained a lot by replacing those with BR a couple of years ago.
Just draw a line in the calendar... From this day forward I will buy only BluRay.

I consider myself a movie buff, but I can't comprehend the reason for re-purchasing titles you already own. You are the poster child fir the movie studios wet... Ummm perfect customer ??WinkWink

And in ten years time when the new format is PinkRay or something, will you replace your future 1000 blurays?
A lot of Blu-Rays are just upscaled DVD's, and there are plenty of horrible releases among them, despite being touted as 'restored' or other marketing bull (bs, since it's often not true).

There was a reputable Blu-Ray review site but I forgot the name/don't have the link.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
When I looked at my DVDs after I got a BR player, I think I had about 400 films all in all. My wife and I purged about 100 of those as 'never watch again'. Over the course of about 3 years we replaced about 50 with BluRay editions, and most of those were requested as gifts at Christmas/Birthdays, so we spent very little money.

I can't see why you wouldn't want to replace certain DVDs with BR editions, especially the likes of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future...utter classics of that ilk...we also had the LotR trilogy on DVD and replaced that.

To some extent I may be the movie studios 'perfect' customer, but then I do 'test' watch films these days before I decide whether they're good enough to own, so they probably get less money from me these days as I don't buy anything on the off-chance it'll be good.
It depends on whether you really want to watch the same movie over and over again. Granted there are some that are worth it.

Frankly I would concentrate on getting new stuff on bluray [1] and replacing the absolute must have/classics when a second hand one comes up. My emphasis these days in on finding new things to watch rather than regurgitating stuff I have seen before.

Hence the almost constant purchase of bigger and bigger hard drives for my server :-)

[1] that includes old movies re-released/remastered etc, although read a review first, see .:B:.'s warning on upscaled/poor quality offerings.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
True, we're big re-watchers. In fact, if you're not going to re-watch something there's no point getting the DVD/BR in the first place.
I see your point, but how do you know until you watch it?

I read lots of reviews, metacritic is my friend. Even still I get it wrong. That's taste for you.

PS always read the reviews with the low points, sometimes the high points seem to be industry shills.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-29, 11:02)nickr Wrote: I see your point, but how do you know until you watch it?

From my earlier post...

...but then I do 'test' watch films these days before I decide whether they're good enough to own, so they probably get less money from me these days as I don't buy anything on the off-chance it'll be good...

Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about upgrading my DVDs0