Why are my channel changes so slow?
Question 
Hello!

Channel changes through xbmc take 6+ seconds with MediaPortal or dvbviewer recording service as the backend. 3-4 secs with Media portal front and back and about 1-3 using dvbviewer front and back.

So, what's going on here then? The delay seems to be between "creating demuxer" and "opening video stream..." in xbmc.log. The gap is about 6 ish seconds.

Grateful for any advice
I have maybe the same problem as you.
I'm also just trying out XBMC as I used MCE for all the last years and channel switching is really slow.

Which backend do you use? ATM I'm using DVBLink 4.6 (have upgraded to 5.0 but did not install it yet)
Hello! Thanks for replying.

I've tried Media portal and dvbviewer recording service as the back end. It's really fast using dvbviewer pro as the client and dvbviewer recording service as the backend so I know the hardware is OK and that it can work. So it points to xbmc as the problem.

You can download a demo of dvbviewer for testing. Might be useful to see how fast changes are just in dvbviewer on it's own without the recording service or xbmc etc. If it's the same maybe update the card drivers...

Good luck
TVHeadend & VNSI don't suffer from this issue. I'm not clear exactly what it is, but I do know its something to do with the demuxer.

I had the same issue with mythtv as my backend. In it's own frontend it would switch quickly, but in xbmc ~4 seconds per channel. My current setup with tvheadend switches sd channels in ~1 second or less nearly all the time.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I've just tried Magro's tweaked build of Gotham. Seems significantly faster so far. Installed over the top of my current version and I don't appear to have lost anything by doing it.

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...tml#gotham
It's slow because ffmpeg takes time to analyze the stream details. The addons for tvheadend and vdr don't have this issue since the backends are feeding raw demuxed data to XBMC.
Thanks negge!

Do you know what margro does differently to fix this? Should it be in the main release?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why are my channel changes so slow?0